• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rules for self defence:

1) Avoid dodgy areas

2) Avoid dodgy situations

3) Run / Escape should always be the first option

4) Submit if you can determine that you will not be harmed

5) Fight as the last option, and to be effective at defending yourself you need lots and lots of hours of training on a continuous bases to create confidence and effective "techniques".

Point 5 is the one that most defence practisioners think they can master with a couple of lessons.......

Wanted to add that Krav Maga is a very effective defense style that has grown out of actual combat requirements and is probably one of the best defense styles out there.

Just want people to realize that what is shown, takes lots of training.

Seem to be quite a lot of sites offering Krav Maga classes - or TKM I saw was one. Anyone got actual experience from one or more of the schools?

KravMAga is a great for close quarters...but in "self defense"...unless you really no what your doing...you want to keep distance between yourself and the attacker. Awareness will always be your biggest weapon.

Seem to be quite a lot of sites offering Krav Maga classes - or TKM I saw was one. Anyone got actual experience from one or more of the schools?
yes.

I train extenively with heinrich of golani krav maga.

Both in hand to hand as well as firearms.

So does my wife.

Go for a trial class for free. You wont be sorry.

The problem with all self-defense / hand-to-hand training is that your friendly local attacker / rapist / bike-jacker is usually armed with a knife or, more likely, a gun.

In addition, he usually has an accomplice or two (all with nefarious intent).

My view is that no possession is worth a life or a life-threatening injury.

Give the b@stards whatever they want and live to ride another day.

an oke holds a gun to your back and you fight back you're looking for kaka.

real life is not the movies or a 60 second youtube clip

an oke holds a gun to your back and you fight back you're looking for kaka.

real life is not the movies or a 60 second youtube clip

Rule #4 followed by rule #3

The problem with all self-defense / hand-to-hand training is that your friendly local attacker / rapist / bike-jacker is usually armed with a knife or, more likely, a gun.

In addition, he usually has an accomplice or two (all with nefarious intent).

My view is that no possession is worth a life or a life-threatening injury.

Give the b@stards whatever they want and live to ride another day.

Rule #4

The point I am making is that the training teaches you first of all, when to retaliate and when to flee or succumb. Education is power.

Then...if you choose to fight...how best to do that.

Gun to the back...no probs

My wife has done extensive weapons training as well as rape and hijack prevention.

Wouldnt you feel better knowing your family is prepared and educated?

Attended a JuJutsu (Loosely similar to KM) workshop a few years back where we tested gun disarming techniques with a real (empty) gun and a determined attacker. Bottom line was that most guys were "dead" or had a gun discharged right next to the head/ear. And there were a number of really fast guys.

Conclusion for us then: if there is a gun involved rather don't take a chance.

Never ride alone, We pack heat whilst riding. Always in the RED zone for alertness. SAPS SWAT :ph34r: training might come in handy, But rule nr.1 is to avoid doggy areas and conflict. Get a good insurance company, you can always replace your bike. :blush:

Archived