Green Lanes - Albert Rd and Strand Str, Cape Town

Kranky

The City announced that it would paint green lanes, like on Bree, on Strand Street and along the length of Albert Road, starting in August last year. I haven't noticed anything on Strand and was just wondering if Albert Road has seen any progress. I'd appreciate if someone who rides/ drives this route can let me know if anything has been done.

Edited by Nick.

Just in case anyone cares. I took a detour on my commute this morning, the lanes have not been painted along Strand, Albert and Malta.

I contacted Brett Heron and he explained that there was an appeal against the awarding of the original tender. The second tender phase is now being completed. No date yet for the completion of the green lanes.

The "green" lane down Bree Street is a joke...I drive down that road every day and motorist use it for parking or an extra lane to drive in :eek:

The "green" lane down Bree Street is a joke...I drive down that road every day and motorist use it for parking or an extra lane to drive in :eek:

Yes, I agree. I cycle it and I like having it there nonetheless. I have a habit of banging loudly on the offending parties door or window. I probably shouldn't but I find it therapeutic.

Hi Nick, well done for contacting Brett and thanks for the update. It seems as if the DA are like most political organisations, great at the plans, crap at the implementation. I go that way at least 6 times a week and some form of lane would be amazing.

why is there a tender, doesn't the council just buy green paint the next time they're at the shop they buy the white, yellow and red paint from?

Don't tell me the painting of road lines is outsourced?

Yes, it is high time that the City of Cape Town DOES SOMETHING about the promised Albert Road cycle lane! It is long overdue and it is the missing link in between all the other bits. Also, the whole of Woodstock, Salt River, Obs, Mowbray area has become a haven for students that are in dire need of cheap and safe transport. What better than to make cycling attractive to them? Come on Cape Town, do something, stop talking about it. You've had enough time on this particular issue!

@ Simpythegimpy

Sorry for the hijack, won't you please post the dates of your bike polo matches here on the Hub also. There are some crazies like me that would like to come around every now and again.

why is there a tender, doesn't the council just buy green paint the next time they're at the shop they buy the white, yellow and red paint from?

Supply Chain Management, Municipal Financial Management Act, Procurement Policies etc....

The municipality cant just walk into a shop and buy paint, another shop would complain about preferential treatment, all shops need to be afforded the opportunity to supply. Then there is the dude doing the painting, needs to be a fair process, giving anyone the opportunity to wield the brush.

The municipality has little or no discretionary spending except for items which have been approved in the municipal budget which has to be aligned to the Integrated Development Plan. You won't believe what the City outsources, there is even a tender for someone to collect road-kill.

MUCH better to send ou-Frik out to the "hardware store" where he successfully manages to buy a tin of R200 paint for R 5000, he then hires his comrades for 9 x market related wages and the project runs out of funding before 10m^2 have been painted :ph34r: ...

Sure the tender process takes longer, but it saves you tax-bucks in the long run. It also grows local economies, which in turn is good for the City, and by proxy, your business. Projects with estimated total cost of under R 200 000 do not go out on tender.

• 4 months later...

I noticed on Sunday that the City has started building the extension of the Liesbeek River Parkway cycle path further past the River Club and towards the city where it will link up with Albert Road. :clap: I hope that the Albert Road part is also in the not-too-distant pipeline!

post-17716-0-35693600-1408945151_thumb.jpg

This is not just normal green paint, can you imagine normal green paint in the rain ?

This is not just normal green paint, can you imagine normal green paint in the rain ?

HAHAHA!!! Yeah. The paint that they're supposed to use doesn't react to wet weather or oil nearly as badly as normal paint does. It also lasts a helluva lot longer, hence the higher cost.

but no - normal paint will not do.