Be Cautious When Riding Grabouw/ Gantou

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope everyone involved recovers - all the best to you.

This crime cannot be hard to solve - where are the SAPS? These perps are local if they arrive on foot. I'm assuming that they are resident in the informal settlement next to the N2 at the Rockview Dam crossing, which is where there have been numerous incidents of public violence / lawlessness.

What about a nice fat reward for any info leading to an arrest AND conviction - I would be happy to contribute.

Let's take back our mountains!

Another riding area taken by criminals. The Schapenberg trail is also unsafe for a long time now, no arrests has been made and it stays unsafe. The way to sort this out is not by hoping the cops find them, because they wont. We need mtb riders with guns to go for a ride in the area. I volunteer to be bait, who`s got a gun and wants to go for a ride?

Vigilantism is probably not the ideal way to solve this problem. We need to exhaust all avenues within the policing processes before we take the law into our own hands.

Hi guys, if anything, they should put up warning signs at these places! Experiencing this trauma, on all its different levels (mental, physical, financially, time), it is just not worth riding there! As soon as we are more sorted out regarding insurance etc, I will take this matter up further with the relevant institutions. The Grabouw police are indeed working on the case, but until, please share to other cycling websites and forums and warn as many people as possible! Safe riding everyone!

The "Hotspot" townships around these dangerous locations need to be alerted to something like a reward leading to arrest and conviction. These guys can't do these things without some locals being aware of it. Finding co-operative "snitches" shouldn't be too difficult by someone who is connected to the township networks. Perhaps a 'Snitch" fund needs to be established. Just a thought!

Yes Greybeard, I agree. Perhaps this is exactly what the cycling and business community of Grabouw can do to help the cops.

Hi guys, if anything, they should put up warning signs at these places! Experiencing this trauma, on all its different levels (mental, physical, financially, time), it is just not worth riding there! As soon as we are more sorted out regarding insurance etc, I will take this matter up further with the relevant institutions. The Grabouw police are indeed working on the case, but until, please share to other cycling websites and forums and warn as many people as possible! Safe riding everyone!

I like the warning signs idea too. Kandui and the Table Mountain Bikers did exactly that at the hot spots on the front of Table Mountain. Together with increased patrolling, large numbers of riders and greater awareness, it has done wonders for safety. Grabouw will always have fewer riders, but the signs could help to raise the awareness level and thus prevent victims from riding there on their own.

Hi! Just want to update: the police has arrested 2 of the 3 guys and found some of our belongings. My husband was able to recognise them, so that is good! They are locals from the nearby township.

The police requested us to put a post up to ask anybody that has been a victim of crime in that area, and think that they could ID the people, to please contact them, the more evidence against them, the better!! They seem sure that all the attacks was by the same 3 guys.

They could get a minimum of 15 years for the armed robbery, so now is the time to do whatever we can!!

You can contact me for more info. Please share!

PS. Bugs du Toit, would you be able to recognise them??

Hi! Just want to update: the police has arrested 2 of the 3 guys and found some of our belongings. My husband was able to recognise them, so that is good! They are locals from the nearby township.

The police requested us to put a post up to ask anybody that has been a victim of crime in that area, and think that they could ID the people, to please contact them, the more evidence against them, the better!! They seem sure that all the attacks was by the same 3 guys.

They could get a minimum of 15 years for the armed robbery, so now is the time to do whatever we can!!

Great news. PM Bugs with the news. Not everyone checks in here regularly.

This is good news.Glad to hear that at least some of these thugs have been caught,making these trails at least a bit safer for everyone.....stil dont think I'd go ride there though.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

\

Brilliant news!

Hi! not being aware of the danger, my husband went riding here on Friday (18.04), and were then indeed attacked by probably the same 3 guys with pistols and pangas. They detained him for about an hour, stripping him of all his clothes, and tied him up with it; they put one of their dirty socks in his mouth and pulled his shirt over his head. They were violent and threatened to shoot him if he moved, at one point took a knife out when they couldn't get his wedding ring off. They then took his car keys, came back later with his car, loaded the bike and left him there in the field. Luckily he could free himself and was picked up by people on the N2. The police found his car the next morning in a field, stripped of everything, all the windows bashed out, scratched, bumped - we were shocked. You have no chance against 3 guys with pistols, even if you are more than one, they also caught him by surprise, jumping from behind the bushes. The Grabouw police have been excellent and are currently working very hard to catch them but they are still around there - so please be careful!!

So sickening to hear.

Hope his trust in nature is restored soonest.

And hope those criminals trip and fall on their own pangas or whatever haha

• 3 years later...

Any new developments with regards to how safe it is to ride in the mto at eikenhof? Would really like to ride it with a friend or should we just stick to oak valley side?

Archived