Giro d' Italia 2014

'Dale

The finishing climb to Montecassino doesn't look hard/steep enough for someone like Rodriguez to do damage. It's 8.5km long at an average of 5.2%.

If the inevetable breakaway doesn't stay away then I think it might come down to another mass sprint to the line.

Hmm, maybe but its a long stage as well, cant see Matthews in the mix here, I would favour a GC contender trying something here, maybe Evans, seems he is itching for a stage.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, maybe but its a long stage as well, cant see Matthews in the mix here, I would favour a GC contender trying something here, maybe Evans, seems he is itching for a stage.

Agreed, this stage is more suited for Evans than Purito. Also, BMC are also a strong team and I think that's going to play a role on Montecassino. If the A-team for the Skyborgs were here, this would be their ideal stage: put everyone on the front at the bottom of the climb and ride a crushing tempo to stop any attacks. So I won't be surprised to see similar tactics from Movistar/BMC/OGE.

It's going to be a hard day for the domestiques in the big teams, I'm sure.

After 24km of the race there is a 4 man breakaway M. BANDIERA (26), E. ZARDINI (39), R. TORRES AGUDELO (72), A. FEDI (136)

gap steady at 14Min after 61km, Avg speed after 1st hour racing is 41.5km/h

Edited by ScottC-M

84 Km :The peleton pulled by Orica and Sky have reduced the deficit to just 8 minutes

Avg speed after 3 hours of racing 37.6km/h

with the gap at 8Min 40Sec

Orica still at the front of the peleton

Edited by ScottC-M

The jersey wearers today are Michael Matthews (pink and white), Elia Viviani (red) and Maarten Tjallingii (blue).

Today is a day of firsts at the Giro. It is the first time the Sassano and Montecassino have been stage towns at the race. The short climb at the finish has a restored Abbey at the top, which should make for a beautiful backdrop.