Find the perfect bike - New Biker!

jennapete912

Hi Bikers,

I am new to the biking world and am looking for the perfect bike to get me on the right track (pun intended). I have been looking for sites that have good deals. So far, I have been looking on Gumtree for bikes, I know they have a mountain bikes for sale section, but am not sure if this is the best place to find a used mountain bike for a beginner.

this is where I was looking: http://www.gumtree.c...for sale/v1q0p1

Please give me your thoughts and ideas. :)

-Jenna

Edited by jennapete912

Welcome!

A few questions to help:

- What kind of riding do you or would you like to do? Long, smooth dirt road rides, or shorter but more fun rides with lots of trail obstacles?

- How tall are you?

- What's your budget?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there!

Thanks for the replies. :clap:

I guess I am pretty beginner. Just want a bike that is flexible with riding around town as well as possibly some trails here and there. Maybe a mountain bike?

Best place to go is to start on:

- budget you want to spend (over all),

- if you have any kit so far (helmet, clothes, etc)

- how much riding do you want to do

Then you can go from there. 2nd hand is a good start as there are lots of nearly new bikes about. Gumtree can pull a few good bargains but you need to know what to look for. See if any friends ride and can keep an eye for you or ask here. you can offer silly money out in gumtree land and sometimes you'll get away with it.

Classifieds here are good and throw up some decent rides. Good thing is people know not to chance their luck as they tend to get called out. Offer at 20% less than asking price and go from there.

Don't forget, helmet, shoes, shorts top, bottles, multi tool, pump etc take a big bit of budget when getting into riding.

Other than that go ride trails, the mtn and beyond, there are heaps of good group rides with nice people who will always help you no matter what level. It's a beautiful city / province so enjoy!

If you want some more help then shout.