Road Chain rings vs Cassette

Spirog

If you running FSA compact crank,then here is your answer

http://www.chainreac...ng/rp-prod35783

Precision CNC machined AL7075/T6 alloy chain rings with shifting ramps and stainless steel pins on outer rings.

• BCD - 110mm, 5 bolt

• Teeth - 34, 36, 38, 39, 46, 48, 50 or 52T

• Colour - Titanium or Black

How do you connect to the cranks? Is it riveted?

I think a compact crank has a 110 BCD and a standard crank 130 BCD, so need to be careful if just changing the chainrings and make sure you get the right BCD.

Guest Smimby

How do you connect to the cranks? Is it riveted?

All chainrings attach with chainring bolts. Using those holes I circled.

So you just need to find chainrings that will fit your crank BCD and then only fit the new chainrings.

post-29158-0-16093100-1398782639_thumb.jpg

Guest Smimby

I think a compact crank has a 110 BCD and a standard crank 130 BCD, so need to be careful if just changing the chainrings and make sure you get the right BCD.

It seems that FSA has 39 and 53T with 110mm BCD hence I posted that

Guest Smimby

Check the FSA site here and you will see that they have the 39T and 52T chainrings for your crank with 110mm BCD

http://www.fullspeed...NGS---BCD-110MM

For the flats you will have a 52x11 combo and a "Normal" crank is 53x11 and the same speed you will be doing something like 5RPM more than the person on the 53x11

Edited by Smimby

I have a handy .xls spreadsheet calculator for comparing gears. It is based on the distance travelled for one full crank revolution with different chainring/gear combos. Shows the result as a % difference of the two distances. Can email it to anyone who wants. The above 52/11, 53/11 comparison gives a 2% difference.

A compact crankset is not just 50-34. You can also have a 52-36 on your compact crankset.

So before you decide to fork out out cash on a standard, a smart choice would be just to spend a couple of hundred rand on 2 new rings and test that combo first.

Edited by tombeej