Camping spots with MTB trails close by

JeffD

+1 Tranquilitas in Waterval Boven...you wont be sorry

One of my favourite MTB weekends away.

......................... but then if you camp, where do you lock your bike?..........................

To the bull bar of the Landy, with one huge cable! Otherwise a sturdy tree if it is closer to my tent. I also lock it to the roof rack if I don't take the bikes off.

Check out the web site www.afri-suncamping.co.za Its about 5Km from Mooinooi in the Buffelspoort Valley.R30 for day visitor.Also close to Buffelspoort Dam Breetsnek etc.

and it looks like we'll be trying out waterval boven :-)

show'd my other half the link ... and now he's stoked

and it looks like we'll be trying out waterval boven :-)

show'd my other half the link ... and now he's stoked

You won't be disappointed. It is a hidden gem. Glenn designs his trails to be rideable by just about anyone. They get more technical the faster you go.

+1 Tranquilitas in Waterval Boven...you wont be sorry

Yes, definitely agree with you guys.

Some of the best rides I have ever had have been there.

One that comes to mind was a short ride through the forest and down the hill across the road from Tranquilitas. It was late afternoon heading into winter so the grass was long and brown and the sun was going down. With the grassy swaying in the wind and the light from the setting It was picture perfect and we were riding in it. (In fact so perfect it resulted in my getting a go-pro but have obviously never even come close to recapturing my memory).

If you going to Sondela, just make sure you have topped up your tubeless with Stan's. We had a disaster ride there once with 6 punctures in 5km or something like that. But it's quite a nice place to ride, flat, flat, flat, I'd give it a 5/10. If they spent some time and money on a proper trail builder, then it would be better, maybe even 7/10.

See there is a race coming up at Sondela. I have camped at Serendipity not far from Nylstroom. More of a 4X4 or motor bike game farm. As for locking up bicycle. I have traveled Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi and places in South Africa and most times land up locking bike to tree and sleeping with my tent door right next to it. Have also tied fishing line to it and me. So can get an alarm my bike is leaving.

Tranquilitas in Waterval Boven is great, Camping is only R70,00 per person, there is 24hr security, great pool to cool down in and only 2hrs from JHB. Also rock climbing for those who can't ride a bike yet.

Yes, the trails do get harder the faster you ride, especially the awesome new singletrack sections built by Glenn Harrison.

Family friendly too, I try to go as often as I can.

post-32110-0-87385600-1399729376_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Howzit!

Just an update: We went to Tranquilita's in Waterval Boven this past weekend & it was great. We stayed in the perma tents which were well equipped, neat & tidy. I would definitely recommend this place & go back.

Not much happening in the town so take what you need with.

Rocky Bay is a nice camping spot if you in the KZN area with some really nice trails about a km from the campsites

Mountain Splendour in Central Drakensburg or Hlalanathi in Northern Berg. Both are awesome for mountain biking and for caravanning.