Camper vans at stage races (J2C, Epic etc)

yetiboy

I want to do Joberg2c again next year, but would like to get out of the tents. Anybody who has rented a camper van for Joberg2c or Epic and has some tips etc to share, please share them? What were the biggest issues if any? Did it add to the experience and allow the best of both worlds, being in the race village for the atmosphere but with your own toilet and shower?

Thanks

Camper is the way!! I hve been very very lucky to camper for both epics I've done. You can't beat it. My advise would be book ahead. For epic book as soon as u have the dates because it was a nightmare finding a camper even in October when we booked ours. the only prob was that the person who drove for us didn't bother to plug the camper in. Otherwise there are no down sides at all!

Camper all the way. Just did our first Joberg2C and it worked like a charm. Nice and warm compared to the tents and all the advantages that you mention above (space, space, space).

My only advice would be to go and look at the camper that you booked a couple of days in advance if all possible. We rented from KEA and their campers are in really good condition compared to MAUI and any of the others that we have used previously - just ended up getting one that had some Diesel in the water tanks... they brought us a new Camper at Reitz though! (The replacement was a MAUI unit and was well past its sell by date - but still worth it!)

You can arrange with the massage/physio's to drive your camper, a couple of teams did this, or just take the family and make them part of the journey - mine enjoyed it thoroughly!

See you there next year!

The Campervan is cool.

You need a really good friend to drive it though. I got roped into driving a van for the a mate in 2008 for the Epic and geez was it hard work. Packing up the van daily (Cleaning up, making beds etc), finding water at a garage to top up the tanks, then manouvering around the dorpies to get in supplies etc, racing to the next venue to find a good place to park, unpacking (Gazebo, Massage table, Spares etc) and then all the stuff that the support staff need to do once the team gets in after the stage. The best part was hitting the competitor tents to crash for the night knowing that you need to be awake early enough the following morning to rouse the team and to start all over again!!!

The next year was easier riding the Epic :)

We used a camper for both J2C 2013 & Epic 2014....rode mixed with my wife, so took some pressure off logistics!

But just a word of caution on costs, use lots of lube, because the camper companies not very gentle with their pricing!

Check out relocation costs, proper insurance etc etc....+R30k at a blink!

We used a camper for both J2C 2013 & Epic 2014....rode mixed with my wife, so took some pressure off logistics!

But just a word of caution on costs, use lots of lube, because the camper companies not very gentle with their pricing!

Check out relocation costs, proper insurance etc etc....+R30k at a blink!

for effectively 6/7 nights? might as well get a B&B at that rate

Yes you could bnb but you have to factor in extra time getting too and from the start/finish. With wpic if you want to be there for dinner/prize giving/briefing that could mean having to

Go back to the bnb to shower etc then come back or have to bring stuff for the shower at eh race though i don't know if that would even be possible. More hassle I recon.