Turning an old steel frame into a cyclocross bike

Twombles

I could not find a thread on this that would not require me to hi-jack someone else's topic (entirely).

It is time for a CX build...

The first step is obviously a frame and then the rest. Instead of buying a Cotic or Surly frame, I'd like to see if I can't use a frame that I already have.

I have an old Peugeot steel frame (a road frame) that I would like to convert into a CX frame. The problem is that the chain stays do not have a wide enough clearance for CX tyres, and the frame does not have mounts for cantilever brakes.

My question is, since this is a steel frame, will a frame builder (or someone with a bit of knowledge and a lot of welding skills) be able to widen the chain stays to increase the clearance enough for CX tyres. Obviously the shape of the chain and seat stays need to be changed to allow for this.

Then, will you be able to weld disc mounts, or brake mounts onto the frame?

Since it is a steel frame I cannot see how such changes will compromise the frame, or am I completely wrong here?

I could not find a thread on this that would not require me to hi-jack someone else's topic (entirely).

It is time for a CX build...

The first step is obviously a frame and then the rest. Instead of buying a Cotic or Surly frame, I'd like to see if I can't use a frame that I already have.

I have an old Peugeot steel frame (a road frame) that I would like to convert into a CX frame. The problem is that the chain stays do not have a wide enough clearance for CX tyres, and the frame does not have mounts for cantilever brakes.

My question is, since this is a steel frame, will a frame builder (or someone with a bit of knowledge and a lot of welding skills) be able to widen the chain stays to increase the clearance enough for CX tyres. Obviously the shape of the chain and seat stays need to be changed to allow for this.

Then, will you be able to weld disc mounts, or brake mounts onto the frame?

Since it is a steel frame I cannot see how such changes will compromise the frame, or am I completely wrong here?

WRT widening the chainstays, Google "dimpling chainstays".

Speak to a frame builder about how difficult it would be to put on disc brake or cantilever brake tabs. David Mercer put a disc brake mount on my old Diamondback.

Not so sure about putting disc tabs on the fork though

I think you may have a few more issues that will come into play with an old steel road frame.

I would think your head tube angle will probably be to steep and it will make the bike more difficult to control (too twitchy).

I would say its best to get the correct frame in order to fully enjoy the CX experience.

It's going to be a mission. Rather get a CX frame. Cotic have a nice one.

Not a bad idea this. Also check out on-one.co.uk, they have some decent CX frames there too

It's going to be a mission. Rather get a CX frame. Cotic have a nice one.

Not a bad idea this. Also check out on-one.co.uk, they have some decent CX frames there too

Cool, thanks guys.

From the advice I think I'll use the frame for a Polo bike and then get a CX frame!