TriNoob Running

DeCleated

What a bunch of helpful Tri-hubbers you are! Thanks for all the info so far.

Now another question, this time in the cycling department.

Ive got a MTB and know my way around MTB terminology, but for propper Tris I will need a road bike.

What I know about road bikes goes as far as the ones with the thin wheels and the curvy bars.

What should be minimum criteria, except for the all important size and fit? What sort of level should the bike be, entry, midrange, dont have the dough for high end at the moment. I would probably use it for road races as well, although I prefer doing them on my Unicycle.

The prospects of another bike is sooo exciting, the Wife might not agree :whistling:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got a MTB and know my way around MTB terminology, but for propper Tris I will need a road bike.

What I know about road bikes goes as far as the ones with the thin wheels and the curvy bars.

What should be minimum criteria, except for the all important size and fit? What sort of level should the bike be, entry, midrange, dont have the dough for high end at the moment. I would probably use it for road races as well, although I prefer doing them on my Unicycle.

The prospects of another bike is sooo exciting, the Wife might not agree :whistling:

My hubs has agreed to get me a road bike......but I have decided to wait. I want a tribike instead, and he is not sure of this whole triathlon thing.... Going to some mudmans first on my mtb and show him Im serious! :devil: Prove Im not having a midlife crisis

Ok, this is going to quickly turn to a debate about whether you should get a normal road bike, or a tri (TT) bike.... This is an extremely difficult debate, and virtually impossible to answer until you've done a few traithlons and know whether you want to take the sport seriously and do longer events such as the half or full Ironman in future.

My suggestion is to get a cheap road bike (R5-6k) that you can use for triathlons and the odd road race. If you later decide to take the sport more seriously, you can always upgrade to a good TT bike and sell the road bike, or keep it as a second training bike like I do. But I would not invest in a high end bike (whether road or TT) until you've done a few triathlons.

If you're like most of us the tri bug will bite hard and you'll probably end up upgrading to a TT bike in a year or two's time...

Road bike with clip on tribars for first time triathletes is a good option because you can easily use it for road races when you are not doing tri's.

Forget all the fancy aero tubing on tri bikes (that just adds weight and little benefit at normal cycling speed... Forget all the marketing and wind tunnel tests, real life is what counts - rant off)

rather get a good tri saddle, good clip on tri bars (like the alloy T2 from profile) and if you serious some deep section wheels and train harder riding on your own without drafting.

Joh.....

Edited by SwissVan

Any suggestions on a good bikeshop in the Joburg/P-town area when looking for a roadbike?

Theres a lot of shops in PTA east that mainly focus on MTB.

Are there minimum specifics when looking at gears,groupsets and all that jargon? I would like a bike that would keep me happy for at least 3 to 4 years.

If looking at a 5-7K range bike, what would I get more when looking at something in the 12-20K range?

All these questions, all these dreams......lots of sleepless nights.

Road bike with clip on tribars for first time triathletes is a good option because you can easily use it for road races when you are not doing tri's.

Forget all the fancy aero tubing on tri bikes (that just adds weight and little benefit at normal cycling speed... Forget all the marketing and wind tunnel tests, real life is what counts - rant off)

rather get a good tri saddle, good clip on tri bars (like the alloy T2 from profile) and if you serious some deep section wheels and train harder riding on your own without drafting.

Joh.....

Says Mr Argon

Any suggestions on a good bikeshop in the Joburg/P-town area when looking for a roadbike?

Theres a lot of shops in PTA east that mainly focus on MTB.

Are there minimum specifics when looking at gears,groupsets and all that jargon? I would like a bike that would keep me happy for at least 3 to 4 years.

If looking at a 5-7K range bike, what would I get more when looking at something in the 12-20K range?

All these questions, all these dreams......lots of sleepless nights.

105 Groupset, 11-27 & 53/39 is a good gear ratio. 105 now comes in 11 speed which is nice, but you will probably pay quite a bit more, get a solid alu frame Carbon Fork, perhaps Carbon Seatstays, you wont get a full carbon bike in your price range. In your price range the wheels and cockpit will be pretty average.

Going up to 12-20K will get you a whole lot more bike, full carbon, better wheels probably Utegra groupset or perhaps even a spot of Dura Ace. Its not really going to make you faster. Pretty much like the Swisscheese said, its about the Indian not the arrow.

Not hijacking the thread but any swim coaches at Durbanville Virgin please PM me

Don't mess around - go see Natalie Tissink

Based in HB though but worth it for the analysis

I would like a coach :

1. Who will look at my ridiculous running and teach me how to run properly and ultimately quicker.

2. Who will analyse my cycling and help me get faster and more economical.

3. Who will watch me swim and help me become an efficient swimmer.

4. Who will make meaningful improvements to my nutrition

5. Who will make meaningful improvements to race day technique

6. Who will motivate and inspire my training and performance

7. Who lives in Johannesburg

I do not want someone to give me a program that I can work out for myself or download off the internet. There is a free program in every Tri mag every month. Cut and Paste does not make you a coach. You cannot be a coach over the internet.

Brett Sutton is a bit expensive and he lives in Mexico. Anyone else?

I would like a coach :

1. Who will look at my ridiculous running and teach me how to run properly and ultimately quicker.

2. Who will analyse my cycling and help me get faster and more economical.

3. Who will watch me swim and help me become an efficient swimmer.

4. Who will make meaningful improvements to my nutrition

5. Who will make meaningful improvements to race day technique

6. Who will motivate and inspire my training and performance

7. Who lives in Johannesburg

I do not want someone to give me a program that I can work out for myself or download off the internet. There is a free program in every Tri mag every month. Cut and Paste does not make you a coach. You cannot be a coach over the internet.

Brett Sutton is a bit expensive and he lives in Mexico. Anyone else?

Move to Capetown we do all that

Out of interest we have athletes based in USA and Europe in some cases they travel here once or twice a year where we do a lot of technical analysis and technical work they then go home and the programme is developed around their goals and what strengths and weaknesses we identified and prioritized to work on. Regular check up via video download also helps keep things on track. Is it ideal? no, but I don't agree that you can not be a coach over the internet.

I do agree that Cut and Paste programmes and mass squad training not coaching.

There are more triathletes in Jozi. Perhaps you should move? :w00t:

Have you seen the view from my studio? Not a chance. :thumbup: