MTb v Trail running v Hiking

Headshot

Shebeen,

Could you send links to me(Dan) if you have them. Will save time and get through to more people. Thanks!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shebeen,

Could you send links to me(Dan) if you have them. Will save time and get through to more people. Thanks!

While you are at it get something out to the top baboon, one of his troop nearly did for me on Vasbyt today. Just before the blind right hand corner on the revamped section just as I land the stupid bugger strolled into the middle of the track as if he owned it. It was close, really close and then the self entitled arse appeared to growl at me as I dived past him.

Shebeen,

School kids from Redham House (primary age) were doing cross country down My Roots today around 3pm. I spoke to the teacher but I'm not entirely sure he was too bothered by what I said.

Thanks marko35s, I guess we have to just keep on advising people until the signage is up.

School kids from Redham House (primary age) were doing cross country down My Roots today around 3pm. I spoke to the teacher but I'm not entirely sure he was too bothered by what I said.

I'll get word to him, via another teacher.

Thanks marko35s, I guess we have to just keep on advising people until the signage is up.

Between the horse riders, inner tube droppers and the runners it's getting to the point where I may need to enter a witness protection scheme soon :clap:

On a side note it has to be said the kids were having a great time, all smiling and yakking on about the run.

I'll get word to him, via another teacher.

Thanks.

The thing with My Roots is there are a few places there where a sudden stop just won't be possible.

If they want to run around there recommend a route of jeep track - Your Roots - jeep track - Fairy Garden.

The kids will enjoy it and somewhat lower chance of inadvertently wearing a mountain bike.

• 1 month later...

Was doing some skills training with my wife on Vasbyt on Saturday morning. Three or four trail runners came past us in a group with MTBs ahead and behind them. I politely asked them if they knew that trail running was not allowed on this trail. No the leader said, he did not. I referred him to trail and tar. He and his mates carried on running down the trail. Was I just too polite? :-)

Shebeen,

whoops, mail sent

Thanks.

The thing with My Roots is there are a few places there where a sudden stop just won't be possible.

If they want to run around there recommend a route of jeep track - Your Roots - jeep track - Fairy Garden.

The kids will enjoy it and somewhat lower chance of inadvertently wearing a mountain bike.

Thats not all - 10 days ago I came down Vasbyt onto the jeep track. I was shaping up to ride the steep gully to the gap step up jump beside the entrance to My Roots. A dad had three little boys riding the very line I was intending to use. Basically unsupervised and clueless as he was 30m away on the other side. i had to brake suddenly and almost came off. I let them go and waited around for a few minutes while he collected one who fell down the ramp and he shepherded them away apologising.

I hit the jump quite fast and landed to find one of his kid pushing his bike on the line into roots. 200mm rotor for the win. No harm done but could have been close. I did vent a bit at the dad. Beware - there are so many people who don't care and are clueless about mountain biking beyond their own limited experience - as if we didn't know :-).

Thanks for being considerate, talking seems to go further than yelling. We can only hope the dad will be more attentive in future.

• 2 weeks later...

More trail runners coming down Vasbyt today (off limits as far as I can remember) on a sunny Saturday afternoon and it was very busy. Running down there with your back to fast moving traffic is asking for an accident.

I did tell one of them that it is off limits but all I got was a grunt as he meandered slowly downhill. It was only afterwards that my sad excuse for a memory kicked in and I realized I knew one of the three guys, he is a regular Tokai mountain biker and really should know better.

Thanks for mentioning it to him, slowly but surely the word will spread.

On the other hand (and why I think the message will spread), I get phone calls from running groups wanting to conform. Seems they completely understand the issue around allocation of trails.. that MTB has so few vs open access to 880km for foot.