Vibram running shoes (five 'finger' shoes) settle class action lawsuit

NielC

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in 2013 Janette Murray-Wakelin and Alan Murray run around Australia in Vibrams (366 marathons in 366 days)

http://www.runningra...inghistory.html

Noted, but they could probably do it in crocs too...

I think that a distinction should be drawn between making claims that are unfounded (which was the subject of the class action lawsuit) and mere 'puffery' about the qualities of the shoes. No doubt that one can run in them etcetera (even do marathons such as the people you have referred to) but one cannot claim something that cannot be substantiated, ie. material claims in a legal sense - then it would be a material misrepresentation.

Noted, but they could probably do it in crocs too...

I think that a distinction should be drawn between making claims that are unfounded (which was the subject of the class action lawsuit) and mere 'puffery' about the qualities of the shoes. No doubt that one can run in them etcetera (even do marathons such as the people you have referred to) but one cannot claim something that cannot be substantiated, ie. material claims in a legal sense - then it would be a material misrepresentation.

Firstly ,no they would not be able to do it in Crocs.

Too much cushioning and no heel drop.

Secondly.

The way I understood the law suit to be.

And again, it's in the typical American fashion where ,when you see a loophole, you grab it hard and fast and live a good life after that.

Pretty much a good way to get a retirement package that you don't have to work for.

So as I understand it, Vibram made claims that using their shoes will strengthen the foot muscles and at the time of their claims they did so without any scientific proof.

That is not to say they were lying.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

• 2 months later...

How do you trail run with those shoes on? Don't your feet hurt when you run over stones and small rocks ect? I do not use these shoes, I run with my Mizu's or Brooks. even after a 21km trail run my feet are sore from stones and rocks.. How can your feet be ok after wearing those on a 21km trail run? Or are they only suited for flat grass and tar roads?

How do you trail run with those shoes on? Don't your feet hurt when you run over stones and small rocks ect? I do not use these shoes, I run with my Mizu's or Brooks. even after a 21km trail run my feet are sore from stones and rocks.. How can your feet be ok after wearing those on a 21km trail run? Or are they only suited for flat grass and tar roads?

I've had a pair and ran a couple of 5 - 10km trail runs, and one half-marathon. On the trial runs the small rocks did not bother me, the occasional toe-against-a-rock hurt like hell though, especially in the winter night-runs.

I run with them on the treadmill in the gym (5-6k/day), and perhaps one short run on the road per week.

I don't think I'll ever do more than about 5-6k in any 'minimalist' shoe