Ultimate bike trailer advice needed

emme

Hiah Captain

This is what you are thinking of:

Very nice. No harm in adding nosecone. Lots of sense from DJR.

It is interesting to check the Venter trailer website for pricing options.The SACS trailer seems to be a bit expensive...

Thx for your inputs!Much appreciated!!

I picked up an old Venter trailer off Scamtree for R4000.00....6 foot trailer with nosecone, spent another R1200 on replacing a hub, bearings, one tyre....should have known better than to buy the thing unseen but I live in the Cape and needed something to leave in KZN for holidays to the Wild Coast. At the time I did not even look into wheel size etc so it's one of the older trailers with the 10" wheels. Anyway I recently added the aluminium rack as per the pictures below and two Holdfast bike fork clamps, one being thru-axle and 1 QR. The downside of these Holdfast fork clamps is you need to stash the front wheels separately so unless you get the racks for the wheels as well it's a bit of a pain. I left the space in the middle for my kayak but you could easily add two to three more bikes to the rack if need be. It is rock solid and sturdy, even with a 30KG plastic boat on top and is light to tow. I would have preferred 13" wheels as per the new Venter trailers but too late to cry about it now and the trailer has proven to be tough travelling rough gravel and so far no problems yet. Best thing is it cost very little and being old I do not worry about it getting scratched, dinged, used on gravel, lending it to mates or leaving it outside. Trailers are weird things...I never thought I would want one, but now I do have it I don't know how I managed without it.PM me if you want more info on the rack, it cost a lot less than I thought it would via a retailer in Stellenbosch.

post-3611-0-66498100-1400502911_thumb.jpgpost-3611-0-60256000-1400502920_thumb.jpgpost-3611-0-39772300-1400502927_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYGA

...................... The downside of these Holdfast fork clamps is you need to stash the front wheels separately so unless you get the racks for the wheels as well it's a bit of a pain. .......................

With mountain bikes the tyres are usually much wider than the rim. This allow you to cable tie the wheel to the frame of the bike without damaging anything. Some road bike wheels will be OK too with this method, you just have to be a bit more careful not to let the rim chafe the frame. I find that it works better than packing wheels separately. The wheel mounting racks, of course, are the best.

http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/alucab/canopy.jpg

Build monocoque (structural skin) trailer frame with rectangular tubing to size for 6 or 8 bikes, cover with aluminium sheets, to form luggage space, divide luggage box in 6 or 8 compartments with door for each compartment that can lock on side of trailer, think drop down door will work best, fit bike rack on top of monocoque frame. Each rider have his own luggage compartment.Not necessary to lift lid to get to luggage. Saw bakkie with aluminium canopy using this concept. see http://hilux4x4.co.za/diy-canopy-steel-frame-aluminium-cladding/

Edited by Baron