Steerer problem

cadenceblur

Hi guys

I need some technical assistance.

Please view the attached pictures...

I have purchased a second hand fork, if one looks at the images, the new fork is missing "the black ring" that goes on to the base of the steerer. Is this a separate part that I need to buy or can I remove it from my current fork?

Also, what is called if I need to buy a new one.

The previous owner had an adapter as he used it on a bike with a tapered headset.

post-26299-0-64205400-1400786248_thumb.jpg

post-26299-0-71378200-1400786392_thumb.jpg

You can take the one off your old fork.

Your could also try your LBS they might have something for you

Thanks flowta, that's what I assumed, but it's pretty firmly set on the steerer.

If that fails, do you know what it's called?

Its called a crown race, rather get a new one from your LBS, too much hassle to remove them without damaging them. Unless you or your LBS have a tool called a crown race puller.

You need it - it is the bearing race. Just take it off your old one and fit it to the new one, by using some slightly wider pipe to slide it down the steerer. Put it in some boiling water for a few minutes first, though, to slightly increase its size so that it fits on easier.

Its called a crown race, rather get a new one from your LBS, too much hassle to remove them without damaging them. Unless you or your LBS have a tool called a crown race puller.

Screwdriver works well. There's a cutout on one section. As long as you're careful and lift it off gradually, it'll be fine.

Screwdriver works well. There's a cutout on one section. As long as you're careful and lift it off gradually, it'll be fine.

Yeah, actually go for it with the screwdriver, missed the cut out.

Crown race, actually matches the headset for perfect fit. Let me know if you don't come right. I've got you can have.

That "black ring" is called a bearing race. It sits between your fork and the lower headset bearing. You can remove it from your old fork - prise it off by sticking a screwdriver into the little rectangular cut out in the fork just below the race (visible in the pic). Best to have your local bike shop re-fit it to the new fork using a race setting tool. You generally can't buy the race separately. It comes as part of a headset bearing set which includes the upper and lower bearings, cups, races and seals.

That said, that race has seen better days (looks a little pitted). My suggestion would be to have a new headset bearing fitted, again leave it to your lbs to fit if you don't have the correct tools to fit the new bearing cups into your frame.

Thanks guys, I think I'll go that route, it's extremely tight, will probably damage the fork in trying to remove it

Any idea what this will cost?

Cheap. My LBS charged me R zero for one they found in their shop......

Edited by eddy