Howzit!

Douw Gerber

Hi all,

Just wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself to the people here.

I have entered this sport about a week ago and actually did my first proper ride today, nothing too serious, did the medium course at Rietvlei in Alberton.

I got awesome swop deal on a 2011 Scott Aspect 20 so that's my ride - for now.

I did make the mistake of buying the wife a real cheapie bike as I first want to see if she is interested in the sport. Going to have upgrade the shifters, rear and front derailer. Going for a Shimano Acera setup there. At least it will be a little better until I can get her a proper bike.

My daughter of 9 seems to be very keen and at least I bought her a much better bike than I did for mom. Nice twist gears with Shimano components. She finished the 5km track with me on Saturday - very chuffed with herself.

I am very impressed to see how friendly cyclists are :) on the forum and on the trails... However I must say some bike shop sales people can seem very snobbish sometimes. If you are not there wanting to spend R7500 or more they not really interested in dealing with a person. It's a bit of a generelisation but that has been the experience thus far.

Can you guys recommend any good bike shops in the south and east of JHB.

Cheers

Douw

Edited by Douw Gerber

Welcome Douw Gerber. To the forum and to the sport.

I see you have decided to change protocol on the Hub. I must say I like it, very refreshing. Usually a first post is a rehash of the endless stupid boring obsession people have with the size of their wheels or a rant at a bicycle shop.

I wish you and you family many happy and safe km of cycling on whatever wheel size you choose and hope you have wonderful rewarding experiences with the many skilled and friendly people you will meet managing and working at bike shops.

When you feel ready consider entering a few races. They are loads of fun and can be very rewarding.

Hi Happy,

Yes it is nice - and nobody has trashed him - YET.

Have a great day to all of you

Sarge

I did make the mistake of buying the wife a real cheapie bike as I first want to see if she is interested in the sport. Going to have upgrade the shifters, rear and front derailer. Going for a Shimano Acera setup there. At least it will be a little better until I can get her a proper bike.

However I must say some bike shop sales people can seem very snobbish sometimes. If you are not there wanting to spend R7500 or more they not really interested in dealing with a person. It's a bit of a generelisation but that has been the experience thus far.

Hey Douw, seems like you're reenacting my experience of 15 months ago. My

OH also bought me a cheapie to see if I was serious about riding, spent so much time and frustrations replacing things, including shifters, which broke the first time I rode on a proper hill.

Also had that experience with a large bike store, the moment they heard "entry level", you could see the rolling of eyes and sighing although the owner and one staff member was great, they were hardly around as they were always out racing.

I'm with Summit cycles now as well. It's convenient for me as I work in midrand.

If not I found Wendell at cycle hub in rietvlei very helpful with advice. Never used their service though.

Happy riding.

More Douw. Welkom. Moenie iets koop by enige winkel wat jou soos 'n stommerik behandel nie. Jy gaan nog baie geld uitgee...

More Douw. Welkom. Moenie iets koop by enige winkel wat jou soos 'n stommerik behandel nie. Jy gaan nog baie geld uitgee...

...in groot bondels Randelas :thumbup: