What is the best home trainer?

Guest Zeitgeist

Guest Zeitgeist

And how does one define best?

If we ignore cost for the moment (a brief moment), what is the range of technological options out there in terms of integrating stationery riding with audio-visuals, "life-like" riding response, fun(?), etc?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oooo oooo pick me coach!!!!

I just went through this exercise....I will need you budget though.

Guest Zeitgeist

oooo oooo pick me coach!!!!

I just went through this exercise....I will need you budget though.

truly no idea - am happy to save up for it though, and prefer to know the full spectrum of options, including high-end cost stuff - lets dream a little

Ok sweetness.

Top end dedicated indoor cycles...Dom Perignon budget....You need a dedicated room for this cause the trainers are bulky, not that easy to move around and dedicated to one thing...training. Two options here....Wattbike / Cyclops 420. These are state of the art machines with all the bells and whistles. They don't neccesarily give any more functionality than top end ergo IDT's, they just make it easier from a setup / get up and go point of view.

Top end IDT / ergo trainers...You don't need a dedicated room for this option since they are easy to move around. They do require a bike locked into it. They offer powerbased HIT training with the trainer's resistance automatically adjusting / Virtual races...very nice and quite a bit of fun racing against virtual partners / online people around the world / Virtual routes...create a virtual route in google earth or download previous ride into software or ride a famous route with video that speeds up or slows down as you are riding. There are only two options here....Wahoo kickr and Cylops Powerbeam Pro. They both excellent trainers that don't lock you into any software(analysis and operating) so they stick to what they do best...indoor trainers, they don't try and be a software house over and above. Proper local backup with the cyclops sealed the deal for me, the kickr however does support both Ant and Bluetooth which is a huge plus.

Middle of the road budget turbo trainers....This is a bit of no man's land ito functionality and price, There is only one in this bracket and its the Kurt Kinetic road machine. Very good build quality and guaranteed to never loose fluid due to its design. Also with the inride add-on that you can purchase later on, you can do powerbased training for quite a bit less than the top end trainers. It also allows great interfacing into Trainerroad and Virtual training. There is also the Bkool trainer which seems very good and packs some great functionality, but due to the lack of backup I wouldn't consider it at the moment.

Bottom of the pile...Rollers will be my option here, it is stimulating and although it will be hard to hit certain training zones(due to lack of resistance settings) will still give you a descent workout. They are also very mobile in the sense that you can take them anywhere anytime and get a nice spin, they are also much cheaper that IDT's

Currently we have a Kickr on loan at home, the missus has been using it and it does the trick nicely.

As for get-on and ride, the kickr with your smartphone/tablet is a very easy setup.

Did Angels on Trainerroad this morning,and i must say i really enjoyed it.

To use trainerroad, you will need a ant+ usb stick (i used a suunto one)

This setup however requires a laptop/pc.

once the software is set up, trainer and sensors paired, its as simple as openning a workout from the vast library, and ride. Trainerroad however requires a payment for the software, and either montly subscription or yearly payment. - For ease of use, in terms of ready-to-ride training programs, i think this is great.

Sufferfest also offers rubber glove, a workout to determine your FTP - essential to have powertrainers work for you.

There is a Computrainer waiting to be set up and tested as well. I have heardit could be tricky to set up, hopefully it's not too much of a struggle. - Will give feedback on this as well.

Kickr pro's for me:

Casette built onto trainer, thus no need for trainer wheel or excessive wear on tyres.

Bluetooth and ant+, out the box with the smartphone app, this will get you training quick-quick.

Like Rouxtjie said, you are not tied in to any one software program, so you can use whatever floats your boat.

Quiet. this could be a dealbreaker, if like us, you live in a shoebox, without a dedicated pain cave.

Hey Rouxtjie....

No Tacx trainers?

Interested in your reasoning why?

One word wayno....software aka TTS. Its buggy, a resource eating monster(you need to spend huge bucks on a high end machine to get it to function properly) and they lock you into it and the support is well, is a online community based hit and miss affair.

The bushido has some nice features like not needing to plug it in....but as an overall package you would do better if you go with the Powerbeam Pro which is in the same price bracket.

For kicker, what happens if you've an 11speed groupset or 9 speed?

You will have to change the Casette on the trainer.

Although, i used to use a spare rear wheel with trainer wheel, and 9 speed casette, with my 10 speed drive train with no issues.

Although this is not ideal.

sorry, my write-up is not as well written and structured as DC-Rouxnator over there...

Wahahhahaa. His reviews and blog helped alot with my decision. In his 2013 review of IDT's tacx didn't make the cut either

What rouxtjie said. Cycleops 400 for me. More than a year of use. Great backup

Wahahhahaa. His reviews and blog helped alot with my decision. In his 2013 review of IDT's tacx didn't make the cut either

He does sell it nicely.

Still have to work through all the software options for training, specifically pre-made workouts.

What rouxtjie said. Cycleops 400 for me. More than a year of use. Great backup

Jealous...I am it

He does sell it nicely.

Still have to work through all the software options for training, specifically pre-made workouts.

Tablet or PC

PS....trainerroad is coming to a tablet near you in the next 2 months, or so say the rumours

Archived