What is the best home trainer?

Guest Zeitgeist

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considered the Taxc iFlow (which i have trained on for a while - not owned) and the cycle ops fluid 2 - two very different price points but honestly didn't see the added benefit for the extra cash needed on the Taxc. The Tacx software is ridiculously over priced and they consistently try 'up sell' you to get the next best thing.

Cycle Ops Fluid 2 - good build quality, believe the local support is not bad, very good bang for you buck

Paired this with TrainerRoad - and loving it

• 6 months later...

Very informative thread. So I'm struggling to train/ride in the week and one MTB outing in the weekend not enough. Also would rather train at home than in gym during the week. 

I have an old style indoor bike, but boring as ****. I like to cycle...and I like gadgets, so the Cycleops Powerbeam seems to be just the thing for me with virtual racing and the rest to keep it interesting. 

Going to use with a 29" MTB Specialized Camber. Not completely sure what my axle is, 12mm 142+ it seems, I suppose there would be adapters for every type?

The Bluetooth version seems to be the best it seems, easy plug and play setup with ipad? Anything else to consider? 

Thanks!

*bump*

I need some encouragement...

You got it right. According to me the best trainer available, Bluetooth version has got its benefits.

Adaptors will be available and Cycleops can defnitaly accommodate a 29 wheel.

I would just suggest a smooth trainer tire, those mobiles will drive you nuts.

I'm using my Camber on a Wahoo Kickr. Awesome trainer and what I love the most is that it has its own cassette and you remove the rear wheel. No setting up or changing back tire. I also think it has the most realistic feel as it control the spin down etc. and not worry about tire/roller pressure slipping etc. I use it with Trainer Road and Cycleops Virtual Trainer. Also a Strava segment app that simulates segments bla bla bla. Solid unit. It's Bluetooth 4 and ANT+ which is really cool. Built in power meter etc.

If you would like to organise a demo on a KICKR please give the Wahoo Distributor a call on 0861249649 or email sean@ikhambi.co.za. Demo units are available CycleLab Fourways, Concept Cyclery Cedar Square and Melrose Arch. 

Thanks guys. Kind of decided on the Powerbeam (good reviews here by Hubbers, R5k cheaper than Kickr).

Still uncertain about Bluetooth vs Ant+ option - what should I consider, advantages/disadvantages?

Bluetooth will future proof you in my mind. Seems to be the new standard. But current equipment is mainly ANT+ There are devices on the market now that will take your ANT+ signal to BLT4. Happy riding.

Bluetooth will future proof you in my mind. Seems to be the new standard. But current equipment is mainly ANT+ There are devices on the market now that will take your ANT+ signal to BLT4. Happy riding.

Txs, going to go BT. 

Now just need to be 100% sure that my bike will fit the Powerbeam. 

Thanks guys. Kind of decided on the Powerbeam (good reviews here by Hubbers, R5k cheaper than Kickr).

Still uncertain about Bluetooth vs Ant+ option - what should I consider, advantages/disadvantages?

The one slight downside to Powerbeam Cycleops ANT+ dongle is its a small little thing which can get lost easy, I added a big strip of tape onto it to make it more visible. You know like the public toilet key thing so people don't loose it....

I'd guess that in future the BT would be more popular amongst the various manufacturers however there can be potential problems with BT in ISOLATED cases, something to do with the BT standards not being all equal...an example would be the stages power meter that since it was released would not work properly on a certain well known BT capable device.

I seemed to have run into a problem. According to the distributor my 29" 142mm through axle won't fit the Powerbeam.

Apparently the PowerSync could work although the website says it doesn't fit 29ers.

Looks like the Wahoo Kickr is on the cards again.

If you would like to organise a demo on a KICKR please give the Wahoo Distributor a call on 0861249649 or email sean@ikhambi.co.za. Demo units are available CycleLab Fourways, Concept Cyclery Cedar Square and Melrose Arch.

Txs. Cape Town area?

I have been training basically extensively on a wattbike and at home on a tacx flow, both very good machines, been doing this for more than a year now on the tacx and 4 months on the wattbikes, hectic stuff but my strength and fitness has improved dramatically. 

Txs. Cape Town area?

Please contact shane@ikhambi.co.za he has a demo KICKR that he can assist you with. EPIC bike shop has also been a great partner for us down in CTN. If you have a specific LBS you would like to work with please let us know and we will arrange with them. 

to continue this topic, do you then have a separate bike you use on these trainers and just leave it in place, or do you have a training wheel that you put on ?

Archived