DACoetzee

Hi Guys,

I want to start a general discussion around some of the Gauteng based Races in the USN cup series.

First off let me say this, these are great events and held at awesome venues with some exceptional single-track.

It is however a bit concerning that the overall and category winners don't receive bigger prizes. The entry fees are similar to what you would pay for one of the Advendurance races, there are close to 1000 entrants, why don't they reward the winners better?

Hi Guys,

I want to start a general discussion around some of the Gauteng based Races in the USN cup series.

First off let me say this, these are great events and held at awesome venues with some exceptional single-track.

It is however a bit concerning that the overall and category winners don't receive bigger prizes. The entry fees are similar to what you would pay for one of the Advendurance races, there are close to 1000 entrants, why don't they reward the winners better?

Its like party hire... the venue costs a lot for the day.

Then you have to pay for the timing people which must be about R20k+

You have to pay the oke who yaps on a microphone all day.

Theres a lot of other expenses, I dont think they make as much as what we think otherwise they hide it real good

I have always had a bit of a gripe with the so called "category winners".

The problem with today is that everyone wants toe be rewarded.

There is but ONE winner for the race. What divide it in cats? Prize money should go to the guys and girls that does it for a living.

Sure.....bring the age cats up to the podium and give them a blue ribbon. But not prize money.

But that is only me.

The USN cup is afterall a huge marketing excersise for the company.

If you are racing for the prize money, I suggest you re-evaluate your reason for winning these events.

The only races with proper prize money, are the big stage races, and the national series.

In general, you are lucky to get your entry fee back for a category win on the smaller races.

True, but even the overall prizes only seem to be bragging rights...

I guess it comes down to guys who do it for a living, and there is no way to make a living off these races...

Edited by DACoetzee

TIA

And there is no assistance from the governing sport body for travel/entry to compete on the world stage for the sport of cycling.

The system is flawed, and a joke in general.

The last thing I think of when entering a race is the prize money, and I am more than happy to pay for the enjoyment of the race.

That being said, two years back my girlfriend came 2nd in the sub vet catagory for the 45km in the Beast of the East race, and she got R800. This is by no means a high profile race.

It makes you think.

I have always had a bit of a gripe with the so called "category winners".

The problem with today is that everyone wants toe be rewarded.

There is but ONE winner for the race. What divide it in cats? Prize money should go to the guys and girls that does it for a living.

Sure.....bring the age cats up to the podium and give them a blue ribbon. But not prize money.

But that is only me.

Agree....well said spinnekop. Prize money for outright mens and ladies podium. Then a callout and if there is a sponser like at the magalies monster(bokomo in this case)...maybe a hamper for the cat winners, the recognition should be enough.

And then...if we look at most of the races, almost all of them have half marathon options...these should be contested(participated is another story) by the under 18's solely, like a breeding ground for the future...I do appreciate that it caters for a larger market, a more recreational one, but then should you place on the podium and you are over 18, you are taking away exposure and prize money from some up and coming youngster...and imo shouldnt be eligible for a podium spot or prizes.

my 2c