Momsen warranty experience ?

Schoemie

Are you not able to return bike under the new customer act for full refund?

I doubt it.

I have heard from TWT. Although they will replace the frame I still have to pay for the rebuild. 

After my experience with another brand on this I really can't be bothered to do this. The bike is 3 weeks old so I don't see why I have to be out of pocket on this. I feel Momsen/TWT should be paying the bike shop to sort this out, not me having to pay the bike shop. Especially as the bike is pretty new. But ja....

Its going to cost me R500 odd in money as well as having to get time off work to take the bike 60km away from me to get it sorted out (assuming the bike shop would also be able to help me out and get it done quickly while I wait otherwise its even more money!)

On a R7500 bike its just not worth the extra pennies in my opinion, still wanting to buy some new kit for myself so would rather thrown the money into a new backpack or something.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Are reasonably suitable for its intended purpose.
  • Are of good quality, in good working order and free of any defects.
  • Will be useable and durable for a reasonable period of time.
  • Comply with any applicable standards set under the Standards Act.

If the goods do not meet the above requirements, the consumer may return the goods to the supplier within 6 months after delivery of the goods, without penalty and at the suppliers risk and expense,. The implied warranty and right to return goods are in addition to any other implied warranty or condition imposed by law or stipulated by the producer, importer, distributor or retailer.

Above is fro CPA

If they dont want to refund, go ombudsman, its free

Edited by Karman de Lange

I doubt it.

I have heard from TWT. Although they will replace the frame I still have to pay for the rebuild.

After my experience with another brand on this I really can't be bothered to do this. The bike is 3 weeks old so I don't see why I have to be out of pocket on this. I feel Momsen/TWT should be paying the bike shop to sort this out, not me having to pay the bike shop. Especially as the bike is pretty new. But ja....

Its going to cost me R500 odd in money as well as having to get time off work to take the bike 60km away from me to get it sorted out (assuming the bike shop would also be able to help me out and get it done quickly while I wait otherwise its even more money!)

On a R7500 bike its just not worth the extra pennies in my opinion, still wanting to buy some new kit for myself so would rather thrown the money into a new backpack or something.

Fight it out of principle. If the bike is younger than 6 months, they must cover any associated costs. That includes the rebuild.

If you are unhappy with your purchase, ask for a refund. The CPA allows for this if there is a fault with the item you bought.

This is must go through the bike shop and they must recover from Momsen.

Edited by Eugene

Ja, I don't know. I feel bad for the bike shop as they gave me great service. 

Momsen/TWT is doing their bit to replace the frame but the whole argument centres around who should be liable for these additional costs now. 

I had another bike that had to have a frame swop so it was a 60km trip to take the bike back, no bike for 3 weeks, another 60km trip to pick up the bike (60km one way...), was hit with R500 odd to rebuild and have a pressfit bearing replaced as well...and then after arguing with the dealer that I didn't order a carbon frame and receiving a carbon frame discovered it was the wrong size AND the bike shop had given me another customer frame....so....that was yet another 120km round trip to take the bike back...and no reimbursement....just the kind of s...t that makes you not want to relive the experience again...!

At that stage I was self employed so getting time to do this wasn't an issue. Life has changed now for me!

I doubt it.

CPA is your friend. Use it

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

I doubt it.

Your choice to repair, replace or refund. Only your choice

Here is the warranty page I was directed to by TWT. Note the last line to cover themselves,...

Conditions:

• All claims can only be processed via an authorized MOMSEN BIKES dealer/stockist.
  • Warranty applies only to the original owner and is not transferrable. ( proof of purchase has to be provided on presentation of the claim )
  • Warranty is against defects in materials and workmanship in the product.
  • The repair or replacement of the effected part is the sole remedy of the warranty
  • Warranty does not apply when damage is caused by improper assembly/tightening or over-torqueing of parts on the frame. Eg. Seatclamps, front derailleurs, seatposts, stems, bottle cages etc
  • Warranty claim is null and void if the bicycle or any part thereof has been incorrectly assembled
  • Warranty claim is null and void if the frame, fork or any of the original components on the bicycle have been modified in any way
  • Warranty claim is null and void if the product is deemed to have been abused and/or neglected
  • Warranty claim is null and void if the product has been involved in any kind of accident – both during use or non-use
  • Warranty claim is null and void if there has been improper follow-up maintenance
  • Warranty does not cover normal wear and tear
  • Warranty claim is null and void if there has been an installation of parts or accessories not originally intended or compatible with bicycle as sold
  • Warranty claim is at the sole discretion of MOMSEN BIKES
  • Warranty does not cover any labor charges for part replacement or changeover
Edited by Mojoman

They can have all the terms and conditions in the world, but nothing can over ride the consumer protection act.

Legally these terms can only kick in once the 6 month warranty stipulated in law has run out.

I seriously suggest that you contact the guys at the CPA. They will sort this out for you. Tell them you want your money back.

I spoke to the GM and he has confirmed that I will not be liable for any rebuild costs.
I will still have to carry petrol costs but its still a more favourable outcome than me shouldering all the costs!

Good on Momsen for having the GM phone me to sort things out, that was appreciated.

Edited by Mojoman

I spoke to the GM and he has confirmed that I will not be liable for any rebuild costs.

I will still have to carry petrol costs but its still a more favourable outcome than me shouldering all the costs!

Good on Momsen for having the GM phone me to sort things out, that was appreciated.

CPA - if my any company GM has to phone customers it a GOOD indication of how BAD their CS is  

• 4 months later...

I am currently waiting to see how this will pan out for me.. I got a crack in my frame on the top tube where the rear suspension attaches to the top tube.. had to drop the bike off at an official Momsen dealership and waiting for Momsen to decide what happens next.. nervously eyeing out the impending cycle tour and wondering if I will need to rent a bike to do the race... carbon fibre framed Momsen vipa which is about 18 months old... so in theory it should be a painless experience...

Edited by Mr Anderson

Hoping the momsen warranty team are out there watching this thread.. My bike has been at an approved Momsen dealership in Cape Town since last thursday.. all i need is the momsen rep to go and take a look, agree the frame is cracked and give me a nice new 2018 Momsen Vipa frame..  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

• 1 month later...

Hoping the momsen warranty team are out there watching this thread.. My bike has been at an approved Momsen dealership in Cape Town since last thursday.. all i need is the momsen rep to go and take a look, agree the frame is cracked and give me a nice new 2018 Momsen Vipa frame.. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What was the verdict?

• 1 year later...

Bought a new GP 500 online and noticed a problem with the saddle when unboxing it.
My warranty claim posted on the Momsen website:

Saddle rails are loose where THEY join the back of the under side of the
SADDLE

Their response to me via email:

We've checked a few saddles on the bikes we have in stock and this is
normal.

The rails have been fitted into the back of the saddle, but not bonded into
place in these inserts.

So Momsen have convinced themselves that loose saddle rails are normal. I'm honestly speechless.

UPDATE: So the saddle rail issue was resolved; the rail popped it's self in and is now seated properly and working well.

Edited by ggierke