Riccardo Chiarini tested positive for EPO

Guest Karma

Oh the horror, I bet he is crying himself to sleep at night because he will not be allowed to race the epic again

maybe, maybe not....if you are a pro roadie and you are banned from the tdf, how would that sit with you?

Kudos to the epic for enforcing this when the UCI is too slapgat

Edited by rouxtjie

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get what you are saying, but still will not even compare the epic to the tdf.

You are right, they are not ito spectacle and money as well as coverage. But its probably the biggest / grandest mtb stage event. If I was marathon mtb pro and got caught doping...not being able to compete in my discipline's queen event would hurt.

Maybe BS can give us some insight into how this feels... :whistling:

Edited by rouxtjie

You are right, they are not ito spectacle and money as well as coverage. But its probably the biggest / grandest mtb stage event. If I was marathon mtb pro and got caught doping...not being able to compete in my discipline's queen event would hurt.

Maybe BS can give us some insight into how this feels... :whistling:

There is not much more that The Epic can do. Maybe petition to Government to criminalize doping to the extend that offenders get jail time, much like Indian authorities have a hard line against cricketers who assist book makers. Passing legislation is a lengthy process though, but may be a worth-while investment to aid SAIDS in their mandate.

I get what you are saying, but still will not even compare the epic to the tdf.

No one is comparing the Epic and TdF, besides the fact that they're two vastly different events for different reasons.

Fact, he was bust doping. Fact, the sponsors immediately dropped him.

If it were me, I'd be loosing some sleep over the fact that I'd essentially been fired from my employment. Good on the Epic for taking a stance where many other UCI events are lacking.

Same punishment. Who determines which is the A ream and which is the B team? If an A team has a terrible prologue they may indadvertedly become the B team if the B team has a real podium chance. The principle of linking teams upfront cannot go with a pre determined pecking order as the dynamics may change over 8 days of racing. Much like a TDF team can elect a new team leader if they loose a prominent rider due to illness or injury.

It's clear from the teams and ranking as to A and B teams, but the very example provided makes an open ended scenario. So to apply that to a doping sanction is still open ended and won't really change anything imho.

Would like to see a deeper sanction focus beyond the athlete/s, who while guilty are often offered up as a sacrificial lamb to appease the public and allows inconsistent/corrupt officials, team staff to go unpunished.

Also a push to criminalise doping on some level, starting at school sports with a mandatory 2 year prison sentence for any adult found to be directly involved.

It's clear from the teams and ranking as to A and B teams, but the very example provided makes an open ended scenario. So to apply that to a doping sanction is still open ended and won't really change anything imho.

Would like to see a deeper sanction focus beyond the athlete/s, who while guilty are often offered up as a sacrificial lamb to appease the public and allows inconsistent/corrupt officials, team staff to go unpunished.

Also a push to criminalise doping on some level, starting at school sports with a mandatory 2 year prison sentence for any adult found to be directly involved.

The intention of the proposal is to try and neutralise the effect that doping may have on the event. With all the pizzing into the wind to try and eliminate doping people seem to forget that even if non podium riders dope it affects results by way of a change in race dynamics. The effect is potentially profound over multiple days.