Is this repairable?

Andre_vdm

The question is:

Do you go down this insane MTB descent at 40km+ knowing that your tyre is shot ? or over rocky terrain and then getting stuck in race?

Medical bills may be far more expensive than the replacement tyre.

Replace the tyre and write it off against a good day of racing.

Maak soos Aaron Gwin gemaak het, ry soner 'n agterste band...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both the Schwalbes my bike came with got cuts like that in the 1st month.

Stitched them up(like a cut in your skin) patched a gator (big patch) on the inside of the tube and rode them tubeless with Stan's for a while.

But got new tires for a race . . .

I keep them now as backup tires.

Mudda you are probably right. Knowing myself being careful when it come to dodgy repairs and safety I would not trust a sidewall repair with stitches.

Edited by Andre_vdm

Biggest factor is budget.

If you have money to replace the tyre and not go hungry for the rest of the month, then replace.

If replacing means having to send your wife and first born to the nearest intersection for a spot of begging, then do what the others suggest and fix it.

If you fix it, it might be wise to keep it on the rear, that way, if it does fail, it will be far easier to stay on your bike.

Luckily I still have one of my old replaced Schwalbe tires lying around and fitted it for the time being(Not much tread left). But before I toss the new one I guess I might as well just try and give it some stitches and a patch.

Biggest problem is that it will keep buldging at the cut and the tube may find a way out. I fixed similar cut on my Gatorskin by putting a piece of assetate (tough plastic rapping used to seal CD,s and other goods in shops preventing theft) Cut a piece much larger than the cut (2cm each side) and make shure you round and smooth sharp edges.

I still pump the wheel 8bar and it lasted for the last 4 months. I keep a piece in my kit incase I get another cut on the road because I had to limp home with the previous cut because as soon as I pumped the wheel sufficiently to ride the tube would start buldging out.

Please please replace that !!! its not worth the risk or anyone riding next to you...

Don't worry! I will replace it. The price of a new Racing Ralf is only R250. Which is basically nothing to what the time wasted on the repair would cost!

Replace Pal. You know how it works, it is going to fail at the turning point on your 100km out and back ride. You aren't going to be able to repair it then and somebody will have to fetch you.

Edited by Vetseun

Replace with another Racing Ralph if you want to have the same post race discussion in a month's time!