Shova ST Shock Issues

MaXiMuM

Happily, and I am very happy, I bought a Shova from a mate.

I know it has been well looked after and has very good components. It has been regularly serviced by reputable bike shops.

I am very happy with the Bomber fork, and when I got it, it was set in the lock-out position, when I asked him about it, he actually didn't know it had any other settings... it has recently been serviced and feels very good.

However, there is a problem with the rear shock.

It is a Manitou Swinger - 3 Way.

The bike does ride with the weight to a rear wheel bias, and only when you are out of the saddle does the front shock travel increase. So I guess the rear shock has worked hard.

Again it was recently serviced.

post-53966-0-94406100-1402988755_thumb.jpg

Here the issues

1. Leaking Oil - there are drips of oil on the frame below the shock after every ride, and I caught a drop about to fall, at the end of my last ride.

2. The rebound seems to be dropping pressure. No matter what I pump it to, the next time I check it, it is back to 45 psi. The manual says I can take it as high as 90, but I have changed it a little and a lot, but always says 45, when I put the pump back on it.

3. It is making a noise on harder hits, not a hard banging noise, just a sound of the air going through the shock.

So here my questions.

Please help.

1. Is there another thread on the forum about this?

2. Should I get it looked at by a different shop?

3. Do I scrap it and get a new shock?

4. If so, which one?

I like the Monarch, size would be 200/50, and does that fit the Shova?

Taa, in advance.

Fox RP's wotrks very well . That is what my Shova had on when I got it from Patrick and it's still working 100% .

Happily, and I am very happy, I bought a Shova from a mate.

I know it has been well looked after and has very good components. It has been regularly serviced by reputable bike shops.

I am very happy with the Bomber fork, and when I got it, it was set in the lock-out position, when I asked him about it, he actually didn't know it had any other settings... it has recently been serviced and feels very good.

However, there is a problem with the rear shock.

It is a Manitou Swinger - 3 Way.

The bike does ride with the weight to a rear wheel bias, and only when you are out of the saddle does the front shock travel increase. So I guess the rear shock has worked hard.

Again it was recently serviced.

post-53966-0-94406100-1402988755_thumb.jpg

Here the issues

1. Leaking Oil - there are drips of oil on the frame below the shock after every ride, and I caught a drop about to fall, at the end of my last ride.

2. The rebound seems to be dropping pressure. No matter what I pump it to, the next time I check it, it is back to 45 psi. The manual says I can take it as high as 90, but I have changed it a little and a lot, but always says 45, when I put the pump back on it.

3. It is making a noise on harder hits, not a hard banging noise, just a sound of the air going through the shock.

So here my questions.

Please help.

1. Is there another thread on the forum about this?

2. Should I get it looked at by a different shop?

3. Do I scrap it and get a new shock?

4. If so, which one?

I like the Monarch, size would be 200/50, and does that fit the Shova?

Taa, in advance.

If you can find a DHX5.0 Air :) then you should be in a good place

If the shock's doing what you're describing, there are some seals in there that haven't been replaced. Your options:

1. Get it rebuilt

2. Replace it with a Monarch (Plus?) or an RP23.

200 x 50 is a pretty common size, and won't be difficult to find. You'll have fun on that frame once it's up and running properly.

That 3-way swinger is not a bad shock, sounds like the service done didn't get done properly, they're apparently very easy to service and you only need o-rings from an industrial supply store to rebuild them. I'd get the shock 100% , you may find it's perfectly up to the job and if not you have a good working order shock to sell to help fund the no doubt damn expensive upgrade. The monarch is awesome, costs around R3,5k tho, remember as well new shock means new shock bushings, around R650 a set.

This one??

http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/07/eng/dhx50_explained.jpg

http://www.ridefox.c...ocks/dhx_50.htm

So why that, not the Monarch? remember this is the ST, not the LT, version.

Air ... you want air .....

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/SOC2011-2012-fox-kashima-coat-dhx50-shock01.jpg

Ok, but now why that one, not a Monarch??

I like the DHX in that you can dial in or out the big blue dial on the boost valve and immediately change the way the shock feels ... more progressive or linear.

You can pump up the pro-pedal to what pressure works for you (no preset setting you have to live with), then you can select to switch it between on and off

I like it on my MOTTO and playing with the boost valve and blue dial does make a significant difference.

Have not personally ridden a monarch