R.I.P carbon rigid

Rushdee

W ooooooooh hooooo! I nominate Iwan as the recipient of the next Bells award. Seriously, bro. Top work. I hope the landowner follows through and bans all involved.

Yes, it'll be an case of "making an example" but it needs to be done. Rogue riding is far too rife.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to play the 'ignorant' card or anything, but for those that don’t frequent the area and for general awareness, what is the normal (and formal) process to follow when checking for permission/fees to ride on trails like this, or on any of the popular trails for that matter? e.g. Are there boards or signs at the various entry points perhaps?

Interested in understanding the sport better..

Not to play the 'ignorant' card or anything, but for those that don’t frequent the area and for general awareness, what is the normal (and formal) process to follow when checking for permission/fees to ride on trails like this, or on any of the popular trails for that matter? e.g. Are there boards or signs at the various entry points perhaps?

It's your obligation to ensure that you are able to ride where you ride. No getting around that.

In the case of Zewenwacht, it's private land, so the onus is even more on you to ensure you don't stuff up. Ignorance is not an excuse (as much as people like to claim it is)

1. I'm glad they're okay

Furthermore. Done.

I stay just down the road from Zevenwacht and as anyone who lives near a trail knows it's a real privilege to cycle from home straight to a trail on your bike. There used to be trails at Zevenwacht which were closed before we moved here in 1996 EDIT:2006. I've asked, begged, offered help, begged again, but they stay closed. It wasn't too long ago that the Bottelary Hills trails were opened (incorporating Zevenwacht) and even more recent that a DH trail was added. For those far away they are on seperate sides of the hill and, as far as I know, operated independently.

Illegal riders have forced booms going up and the DH trail closed off or blocked when not in use. It's been made clear that it is not to be used on any other day than shuttle days or official event days.

The last thing we need is another farmer stripping his moer and kicking us, ALL OF US, off his farmer cause a hand full of guys can't stick to simple rules. To me, and a lot of riders in the area, it would mean having to get in my bakkie and drive a minimum of 20k's to the next nearest trail. Something that would severly limit the amount of times I'll be able to ride.

To the "trail centres" like Radish, Middelvlei and Zevenwacht Wine Tasting it will have a rather big impact on income.

then you need to do what you need to do.

P.S. I along with other passionate mtb'ers who appreciate the trails we ride & have access to, have to fight the very battle of rogue riders all the time on the TMTBC Trails so I know your frustration.

But - in the case of ignorance, there are generally marked trails on the estate, AFAIK. And the "guide" would have known. Generally speaking, there are maps available for the trails, and anywhere that isn't marked is a no go.

If in doubt, ask the landowner or official on the site.

then you need to do what you need to do.

P.S. I along with other passionate mtb'ers who appreciate the trails we ride & have access to, have to fight the very battle of rogue riders all the time on the TMTBC Trails so I know your frustration.

Yeah, you have rogue riders to thank for the restriction of access to various trail sections (green corridor etc) so you're in the same boat.

It's your obligation to ensure that you are able to ride where you ride. No getting around that.

In the case of Zewenwacht, it's private land, so the onus is even more on you to ensure you don't stuff up. Ignorance is not an excuse (as much as people like to claim it is)

EDIT: removed post. Question answered in previous post thanks CPT Armpies.

Edited by Stressed Eric

the short answer, & I speak under correction, anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, all trails that you ever heard of needs some sort of payment, be it day permit or club membership, except for Majik Forest ... For now at least. so if you are riding anywhere else other than Majik you must pay. Oh just remembered G Spot as well. Edited by milky4130

Thanks but where does one go/who do we speak to there? Anyone know the formal process?

Not sure on the Zewenwacht side of things ito access and who to speak to. But, as for how to find out, phone the farm, speak to other people on the WPDH facebook group, or start a thread on here. It's really not difficult.

Dude, a carbon frame with a carbon rigid fork .... WTF are gears doing on that bike, SS China, SS!

Currently 8.5kg wifff gears and pedals. Well... she WAS 8.5kg... past tense.

Lighter now I would have thought...

Guys just to let you know, the awareness has been created and circulated. The other riders have been made aware of the learning’s that needs to be heeded here. Many thanks for the info and clarity. Here's to safe and happy riding for all.

What was it that Keith Bontrager said : " cheap, light, durable; pick any two"