Joberg2C GPS choice

Rudi Pollard

So what is the most cost effective option to get for the self navigation purposes needed to do Joberg2C and Sani2C next year.

I have had a look at the different options but I am not sure which one to get. I would like it to do the navigation but still be able to see my normal screens with speed, distance, HR etc.

I currently have a Garmin Forerunner 910XT multisport watch. As far as I know it can follow a breadcrumb trail but that will be the only screen you see. Ideally I want something with turn by turn navigation but I am not sure if it is really necessary.

Currently I am looking at the following:

- Garmin Edge 810

- Garmin Edge 800

- Garmin Edge 510(does not allow maps though)

- MIO Cyclo 315

- MIO Cycle 505

I am not a fan of Bryton so that is why it is not on the list. I had the Ryder 40 before upgrading to my current Garmin.

I like my Bryton 50 no hazzles yet!!!

I had huge issues with the Heart Rate measurements. After replacing the battery, the HR belt, and the actual HR unit and still getting random results I decided to move on. The Bryton support guys were also not helpful at all as all response I got was that it must be your shirt flapping against it, or a flat battery. On the second stage of Three Towers last year I got an average heart reading of 225 or something...

You don't need the maps, IMO navigation in a race is better without a map. The edge 500 & 510 provides a breadcrumb trail to follow the course that works really well.

You don't need the maps, IMO navigation in a race is better without a map. The edge 500 & 510 provides a breadcrumb trail to follow the course that works really well.

Can you follow the breadcrumb trail and still have access to your normal screens or will it show the trail the entire time?

Garmin 810 all the way

Used a Bryton 50 this year on joberg2c and I could not upload the files after I completed the ride. That ppl peeled did me off with very little help from Bryton

Garmin all the way

I have a 910xt a fenix and a v800 on order. I bought it to do the j2c 2014. But sold my entry due to work constraints. Its sitting in a drawer doing bugerall.

Can you follow the breadcrumb trail and still have access to your normal screens or will it show the trail the entire time?

It shows the trail with two (I think) of your chosen data items, however you can easily toggle to your normal screens with the buttons on the left hand side of the device.

. On the second stage of Three Towers last year I got an average heart reading of 225 or something...

That sounds about right!