American Classic or Stan's Crest?

GrantRH

This is really useful Grant. Thanks.

Why, or did you, not get Hope hubs?

I heard that the AC hubs are pretty good so didn't go the Hope route. Almost a year later than the hubs have been great. No need for the Hopes imho.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You had AM hubs on crest rims? 90% certain the crest rims are lighter. Crests on AM hubs are super light.

Nope. I have hope pro evo ii on crest rims - 2 sets (both 29er). Then I had build the AC wide lightning rims on same hope hubs and spokes. So currently i have 1 set of crest on hope hubs and one set of AC on hope hubs. Both sets weigh 1650g on a park tool digital scale :-) I also had the shop weigh the AC rims alone and was 380g per rim which is the same as the crest rims.

Nope. I have hope pro evo ii on crest rims - 2 sets (both 29er). Then I had build the AC wide lightning rims on same hope hubs and spokes. So currently i have 1 set of crest on hope hubs and one set of AC on hope hubs. Both sets weigh 1650g on a park tool digital scale :-) I also had the shop weigh the AC rims alone and was 380g per rim which is the same as the crest rims.

Thanks for the info, then those AC hubs must be seriously light

I heard that the AC hubs are pretty good so didn't go the Hope route. Almost a year later than the hubs have been great. No need for the Hopes imho.

AC don't sell rims, other than the AX101 and crash replacement which are silly money.

I went into Solomons yesterday to get AC fitted to my Comp Epic. It turns out that the axle does not fit Specialized bikes. Hyper frustrating!

I went into Solomons yesterday to get AC fitted to my Comp Epic. It turns out that the axle does not fit Specialized bikes. Hyper frustrating!

erm, it shouldn't be the bike. It's either that they don't have the right end caps for you, or, more importantly - they're solomons and they don't know what they're talking about. 

Nothing to do with your brand of bike! 

erm, it shouldn't be the bike. It's either that they don't have the right end caps for you, or, more importantly - they're solomons and they don't know what they're talking about. 

Who do you recommend?

ever been into Solomons?

ever been into Solomons?

I found them very helpful actually. They said they would try do some research on it on Tuesday. I am not going to slate them.

Who do you recommend that I go to in Johannesburg?

I found them very helpful actually. They said they would try do some research on it on Tuesday. I am not going to slate them.

Who do you recommend that I go to in Johannesburg?

What fork dropouts do you have (qr/15mm etc) and what rear axle do you have (142x12 / 135x12 / qr) - depending on that, tell them that you need the wheels with those adapters.

Archived