MTB Helmet options for newbie

Rayman

Awesome, thanks guys. I'll probably be popping into sports word as they are around the corner from me and on the way home from work.

Price doesn't matter, they all pass the same safety tests.

Buy what feels comfortable and you feel good wearing.

Edited by Alouette3

So much this. I made the mistake of buying a cheapie Mr. Price one, it sucked. Got a Bell Yukon FS, great helmet for a great price.

But, the high end people all use the same factories - The Etto Champery, for instance is made by Wind Helmets in China. The fit is superb and its better than a Yukon with its full polycarb shell to protect the foam and extended coverage at the rear. Comparing the Etto range to a Mr Pices cheapie would be a mistake.

But, the high end people all use the same factories - The Etto Champery, for instance is made by Wind Helmets in China. The fit is superb and its better than a Yukon with its full polycarb shell to protect the foam and extended coverage at the rear. Comparing the Etto range to a Mr Pices cheapie would be a mistake.

Haha, not comparing at all. Just advising against the house brand ones. I actually like the look of the Etto and will propably be my next helmet, and only suggested the Yukon because I know it works.

I've had a serious off in a Bell Slant and it saved me big time, they also have a replacement policy that costs around R300 if it's damaged in an accident.

I currently use a Rudy Project Zuma and I must say it's a little disappointing as far as comfort is concerned.

Bottom line, this is probably the most important piece of bike equipment you will buy so make sure not to take a short cut (read: cheap option) .

IMHO of course...

I've had a serious off in a Bell Slant and it saved me big time, they also have a replacement policy that costs around R300 if it's damaged in an accident.

I currently use a Rudy Project Zuma and I must say it's a little disappointing as far as comfort is concerned.

Bottom line, this is probably the most important piece of bike equipment you will buy so make sure not to take a short cut (read: cheap option) .

IMHO of course...

Read up on helmet safety studies. The cheaper helmets (read unfashionable and unattractive to the brand conscious) have been found to offer virtually identical protection to the ones costing 10 times the price. You are for the most part being ripped off for fashion and branding, not protection.Helmets costs a few $ to make. their pricing is all in packaging, fancy graphics and making new molds every so often to bring out the next spring fashion statement.

There is new technology coming out slowly like the MIPS system found on POC, some Scott helmets and one or two others as well as some new materials and applications (eg Smith Optics) and one or two others. For those perhaps the higher price is more justifiable.

Edited by Headshot

I can't argue that the protection element is probably very similar on all major brands, but comfort is not.

I took the view that if I was going to spend more money on anything then it should be on the head. I bought a Prevail, which is on the high end. It may not offer that much more protection but it fits like a glove and weighs like a feather. I don't even realise I am wearing it over long races, which does help with marathon events.

But I do agree, starting out get a good brand at a good price. No need to go for the top end products at this stage.

Went in to check out Etto helmets at Rapid sport today and a price increase is on the cards ,up to +/- R580.00.Buy NOW

My Sportmans Warehouse had these marked down to R600, normally R1100

Limar 757

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/limar-757-mountain-bike-helmet02.jpg

Edited by Heckers