Stolen? Scott Spark Elite 29 on Gumtree (Tableview)

Bigmozzarella

Don't message me - I'm just re-posting a Gumtree ad I saw

There's an ad on Gumtree - looking for owner of a bike.

Suspected stolen - guy asking whose it is bike it is.

(don't go nail the guy - he's looking for the owner) If you know the owner, send him the link.

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-sports-bicycles-fitness/tableview/notice-do-you-know-of-anyone-that-has-had-a-scott-spark-elite-recently-stolen-from-them/1001148761730910017407209

The ad reads as follows:

On Friday I bought a bicycle for my son from a guy near the Seven Eleven, Sandown Rd, he approached me asking if I am Interested. It turns out that I am looking for a Bike for my son to commute to school with. After a very sad story of his father passing away last week and him and his mother needing cash, I told him my budget was lower for my son bike. After I did my shopping he approached me again on my way home accepting my offer. When I showed my son the bike he almost fell off his chair. We did some internet research to find the bike value to be much higher raising my suspicion. I took down details from the guy but it seems dodgy, the phone number is message mode, and the address I will try again.

He only posted it on Gumtree to justify keeping the bike. If no body comes forward, he can say that he tried and then boast to his buddies the bargain he got.

Surely, he should have realised that buying a bike from someone "next to the Seven 11" is suspicious in itself.

He only posted it on Gumtree to justify keeping the bike. If no body comes forward, he can say that he tried and then boast to his buddies the bargain he got.

Surely, he should have realised that buying a bike from someone "next to the Seven 11" is suspicious in itself.

Dude, I think you are being a bit harsh. It is common fact that when a bike gets stolen it might end up on Gumtree. So the chances are very good that the owner of the bike or at least one of his mates will see this ad.

If the guy wanted to keep the bike he could put up a few small posters on a few lamp posts that's not to visible and if caught could then say "my bad" I did advertise...

Guest Zeitgeist

Dude, I think you are being a bit harsh. It is common fact that when a bike gets stolen it might end up on Gumtree. So the chances are very good that the owner of the bike or at least one of his mates will see this ad.

If the guy wanted to keep the bike he could put up a few small posters on a few lamp posts that's not to visible and if caught could then say "my bad" I did advertise...

not so sure - I tend to agree with Eugene's comment. If he rides the bike around, and the previous owner spots the bike, he will have plausible deniability. Smells a bit fishy, but hopefully the oke is actually honest and decent - would be nice