XTR Flow vs ZTR Arch Ex???

Guillaumevn

Other people might say different but straight gauge for drive side on rear and DB for the rest

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All else being equal, straight gauge will make a slightly stiffer wheel. But as said, it is no stronger in the parts that matter.

Thanks guys. This is a lot of help. Anyone have anything to add on the Wide Lightnings? I will probably have to choose between them and the Flows.... what would a good price for Hope hubs be?

Thanks guys. This is a lot of help. Anyone have anything to add on the Wide Lightnings? I will probably have to choose between them and the Flows.... what would a good price for Hope hubs be?

If you're looking on info for the wide lightnings, pm Crow. He has them on his Vipa

Crow, where did you get yours from? Is the free hub compatible with SRAM cassette? Looks like it.

Crow, where did you get yours from? Is the free hub compatible with SRAM cassette? Looks like it.

I think Iwan is away on holiday at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever get a response - can you share it with us?

Did you ever get a response - can you share it with us?

I installed the ACs myself and highlight the following:

1. The set come installed with quick release but included the larger thru axles.

2. It took me about 2 hours to replace the QRs with the TA, and move over my cassette and rotors. You can download very extensive instructions on converting to TA from the AC website.

3. My Epic has a 142+ spacing, as opposed to the standard 142 spacing. This meant that I battled to get the correct spacing on the rear wheel. Fortunately, Magnus from cyclesonline kindly fitted the correct spacer for me.

All in all, I am very happy with the AC. Apart from being a very respectful 1569g for the set, their wider width makes the tyres (Racing Ralph front and back) grip like hell. I have been pushing them harder and harder and still haven't managed to washout.

Two thumbs up for me.

I bought the Arch EX's when I weighed around 98kg's and I love them. Attached them to some Hope hubs and I'm hooked. I can't vouch for the others but I have no regrets. I'm now 91kg's and dropping, but that's 'cos I haven't had a drink in 5 months.

Got Arch rims which will be fitted to Novatec hubs at month end. I'm 95kg and was advised to go with Arch. I've done plenty reading/research about this and think I've made a good choice. Now the wait.

Went with Flow EX on Novatec hubs,damn are they bomb proof,makes your tire look bigger than the size states.I weigh between 95-98kg it's up and down all the time,gonna put some Hopes on when I got some bucks. I when twitch brass nipples and double butted Pillar spokes. Gained about 150-200 grams from my previous wheelset.

Arch are not as wide as the Flows. Wide lightening rider weight limit is 225lbs. I went through all these options. Wanted the Wide lightenings but too heavy for them so my choice for a nice wide, strong rim and wheel is Flow rims on hope hubs. Wide rims are much better in my opinion. I have tried them all.

I'm leaning toward the American Classic. Heard great things about the wide rims. Better traction at lower pressures.

what gives these rims better traction?

All else being equal, straight gauge will make a slightly stiffer wheel. But as said, it is no stronger in the parts that matter.

not to be an ass - but must disagree

'stiffness' - the amount that either of these spoke will elastically deform is negligible, max tension in the spokes depends on the rim strength, not the spoke strength

spoke strength

- if we but pulled on a butted and a non butted spoke, both with the same max diameter, the butted spoke would break 1st, but the mode of failure is plastic deformation, this is not how spokes break on bicycle wheels

Spoke on bicycle wheels break from fatigue fractures, usually at the elbow or thread

Butted spokes are thinner in the middle of the spoke, so when stressed, the thinner part elastically deforms instead of the elbow/thread end deforming - resulting in the elbow / thread end lasting longer