Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

Also 22nd. So you will have a sweep meandering along behind you!!

It not a race so you better sweep enjoying it then be ahead suffering to much.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Outside SA Crazy German with the Rohloff Fat bike must maybe first speak to the professor that did part of the route on a normal Fat Bike, it might be a better idea to come and ride with me on a Rohloff serious dual suspension tandem.........

Would love to know the total weight of the bike with spares, Fat Bike tube = 1.5kg with slime. Eish

Some advice from Ben Swanepoel 2006 record holder :

In 2006, he tied for first place with Cornell van der Westhuizen in a new record of 17 days.

Asked to provide us with his 20 tips for anyone wanting to take on the Freedom Challenge, he had this to offer:

Pack light

It is amazing how generous some competitors became after the first day of the ride, donating to the locals on a scale only exceeded by the National Red Cross Organisation.

They lied to us about tyre liners stopping thorns.

Use slime, tyre-liners and when going through the Karoo, and beat a strip of sheet metal around the outside of the tyre surface.

Beware the dotted lines:

Dotted lines on the map represent field trips. These field trips however, have nothing whatsoever in common with the field trips undertaken at botanical gardens or corporate workshops.

Spend a few extra minutes confirming your navigation along the route.

Even when everyone else is positive that they know the way, make sure you do. The best wakeup call I got was early in the race during one of our “detours”. The race director asked us (rather smugly I thought), “So who was the leader and who are the sheep!” It was a lesson well learnt, and I never took a wrong turn again. (So if I could just work out why, if the race distance was 2200km, my odometer registered 2700km!)

Makes you think.....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I have not total weight my old one was 16 kg this one will probably be 15 or so. I do ride with front suspension my back does not believe in fully rigid. For my back the alternative would be a decent full suspension break proof with sturdy tires and those also weigh 13+. As the bike is currently about 6 parcels flying floating around the world and some of my shed its only a guess to final weight I do believe in sturdy above light i am myself 80 kg at fighting weight.

There are lightweight fatbikes around rigid dipping under 10kg but thats not my cup off tea.

Interesting offer on the tandem though I am a strong believer in the fat tyre principle Fatbike tandem would be a dream but sadly there are very few off those around. The fact that you now the route makes it very tempting.

I know about the thorns I have mates in the Karoo. i have ones pulled about 50 from my fatbike tire without it loosing much pressure. Though a key question remains which sealant is best for SA thorns. Major weakness is that there is no way to seat a tubeless fatbike tire in the buch where a normal tire you can reseat with a 16g gas can.

Portage is indeed another issue I am thinking of good techniques and specific training. Though the fattires should allow to ride more and walk less. I am quite used to the rocky uneven and loose stuuf plenty in my back yard and am often still riding when almost everyone else is allready hiking.

Fatbikes are a lot more comfortable when the going gets though I have done 100k plus rides on them in one go including serious climbing.

Though I am green to several parts off the route therefor also this ride entry as maybe my want to do the full ride is then already over.

Though a key question remains which sealant is best for SA thorns.

Portage is indeed another issue I am thinking of good techniques and specific training. Though the fattires should allow to ride more and walk less. I am quite used to the rocky uneven and loose stuuf plenty in my back yard and am often still riding when almost everyone else is allready hiking.

Any sealant will do, I use Joe's or Stan"s, both work well.

In the Freedom Challenge dictionary the word portage = unrideable not even with a fat bike, and in most cases not even with a motorbike. The best way is to put the bike on your backpack and grip the handle bar with the one hand and the seat post with the other.

Think a trekking pole is a waste of time? I was thinking of it for those big hikes. But I'm guessing that it’s not worth carrying 2500km just for those.

Other question: do people remove their cleats for those big climbs? My experience with climbing steep rocky gradients in cleats shows they don't provide grip, esp on rocks. Worth taking them out before a big hike-a-bike?

Think a trekking pole is a waste of time? I was thinking of it for those big hikes. But I'm guessing that it’s not worth carrying 2500km just for those.

Other question: do people remove their cleats for those big climbs? My experience with climbing steep rocky gradients in cleats shows they don't provide grip, esp on rocks. Worth taking them out before a big hike-a-bike?

Wear the correct shoes and walking and climbing won't be a problem.

Shimano MT71 or MT91 work very well, just be sure to put locktite on the screws, I lost a cleat on the last day in Settyns Valley and the cycle to the finish was not very pleasent!

Wear the correct shoes and walking and climbing won't be a problem.

Shimano MT71 or MT91 work very well, just be sure to put locktite on the screws, I lost a cleat on the last day in Settyns Valleyand the cycle to the finish was not very pleasent!

Where did you buy yours from? Local or imported?

Question? What footware does one take for the Support Stations. I cannot bare to stay in my cycling shoes after a long day.

I know some guys take slip slops or stokies. I took trail shoes last time (incase of portages and last resort for riding), but found them too bulky and heavy.

Any ideas' ?

Question? What footware does one take for the Support Stations. I cannot bare to stay in my cycling shoes after a long day.

I know some guys take slip slops or stokies. I took trail shoes last time (incase of portages and last resort for riding), but found them too bulky and heavy.

Any ideas' ?

I used a pair of minimalist running shoes, light weight and dry fast, I also used them for a few river crossings.

Where did you buy yours from? Local or imported?

I got the MT91 from Chain Reaction and the MT71 from a local dealer, prefered the MT91 as its got great ankle support but it does weigh a bit more. The cheapest way to get them is if you can get a mate to post from the UK as a gift you don't have all the taxes.

I got the MT91 from Chain Reaction and the MT71 from a local dealer, prefered the MT91 as its got great ankle support but it does weigh a bit more. The cheapest way to get them is if you can get a mate to post from the UK as a gift you don't have all the taxes.

What size are you looking for?

Any ideas' ?

cheap imitation Crocs. Tie them to the outside of you backpack. Very light and no packing issues. Plus you can wear socks with them for the cold nights, whereas normal flip-flops with toe piece you can't.

Any sealant will do, I use Joe's or Stan"s, both work well.

In the Freedom Challenge dictionary the word portage = unrideable not even with a fat bike, and in most cases not even with a motorbike. The best way is to put the bike on your backpack and grip the handle bar with the one hand and the seat post with the other.

Thanks I've been in die hell So no doubt abour die leer, stetyns and Lehana's as real hike. Though I see some people saying 50% is unridable overall whic to me sounds over the top. Except from die leer Stetyns and Lehana's how much do you estimate as hike or portage rather than ride, also sya if % if its time or km wise?

Thanks

Any ideas' ?

I used the older version of New Balance T10V2 in previous years, weighing in at 175g and quick drying excellent shoe's.

This year I only used the Shimano MT91 boots and walked bare foot around SS, nobody complained

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

1. Advertisement. I have a brand new pair Shimano MT71, never used, size 44. Bought for R2R this year & a size too small for me. Will fit a normal size 8 or 8 1/2.

2. Boast. I hiked up Lehanas with normal MTB shoes, cheap Olympics, worked fine. Martin & Jeannie also used normal MTB shoes, they only did 12 days of this though, I only did R2R.

3. Advise. I used GlennH strategy, warm wool socks at SS, no extra shoes. Days are long, when you finish you're happy to stay indoors. If you need to go out, put on MTB shoes.

Archived