Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

Yes those ones !! I had to sell newspapers till late at night the last few weeks to get the moola together for the discount . Can buy a few extra spares with that R3k

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if I missed it on here , but who entered already ?

I'm without a bike and without an entry at the moment.

Had some heavy family financial commitments to deal with recently, and then my bakkie has had to have an entire clutch and gearbox overhaul that has wiped me out.

I'm still hopeful that my situation will improve - in my mind I'm still 100% committed to this thing so I'm acting like I'm already in, even though I might have to wangle a last minute entry (or buy off someone).

Good effort - Google maps really brings things "too life" if you can't get out on the trail itself.

I see you're in KZN - if you haven't been out on the trail and are keen give us a shout and we can head out for a day.

I have entered the RASA and would like to meet up with riders from Pmb and Durban area to chat about the race and also join in some rides in the months to come. Will welcome any advice and info. Mike

I have entered the RASA and would like to meet up with riders from Pmb and Durban area to chat about the race and also join in some rides in the months to come. Will welcome any advice and info. Mike

Just post and your call will be answered.

I will be back in 2015 with Beat, my colleague and Jill's boyfriend.

And Jill, Liehann, is she not going to do it again?

At the moment it seems unlikely she'll be back in 2015. She wants to go back to Tour Divide which is about the same time as FC.

No problem. I'm based in PMB - more than welcome to join for rides etc. I'm often in my office in Hillcrest so should be easy to meet up. PM me to organize. Otherwise post questions etc here - many helpful Hubber Freedom Challengers here willing to help.

I will be back in 2015 with Beat, my colleague and Jill's boyfriend.

Just bring a rigid fork next time ????...

Ryan I'm seriously considering a plush trail bike with at least 120mm travel. I'm loathe to give up the Rohloff though. Jill, Richard and Marnitz had derailleur trouble and Jill had some chain suck issues whereas I had no trouble with the Rohloff. It is heavy though - maybe go 1x11?

Are you and Bruce coming back for RASA?

Ryan I'm seriously considering a plush trail bike with at least 120mm travel. I'm loathe to give up the Rohloff though. Jill, Richard and Marnitz had derailleur trouble and Jill had some chain suck issues whereas I had no trouble with the Rohloff. It is heavy though - maybe go 1x11?

Are you and Bruce coming back for RASA?

As you know Bruce and I Recce'd the R2R route extensively - in doing so we rode numerous bikes and various versions (hardtail carbon, hardtail alu, hardtail steel, 1x, 2x, dual sus...). Ultimately deciding on the dual sus with "easier" than normal chainrings giving ratios that we could turn all day without being completely buggered at the end of the day. This combination was perfect for our first attempt.

You will definately appreciate the rear suspension (even 100mm)... That Rohloff is great from a maintenance point of view but, sho, that bike was heavy (maybe I was just to tired to lift it properly out of Vvuv ;) )! If you're used to it though, stick with it. 1x11 is an option - personally I wouldn't run the ultra racey XX1. I would go with X01 or even a model 'lower' if there is such a thing by then. This said another friend of ours who recce'd with us moved from 1x11 to 2x10 for the actual race (RASA) and said it was a good move...

Or... singlespeed rigid... #justsaying :ph34r: .

I've got RASA 2016 in my sights. Next year I have an itch for a quicker R2R...

As you know Bruce and I Recce'd the R2R route extensively - in doing so we rode numerous bikes and various versions (hardtail carbon, hardtail alu, hardtail steel, 1x, 2x, dual sus...). Ultimately deciding on the dual sus with "easier" than normal chainrings giving ratios that we could turn all day without being completely buggered at the end of the day. This combination was perfect for our first attempt.

You will definately appreciate the rear suspension (even 100mm)... That Rohloff is great from a maintenance point of view but, sho, that bike was heavy (maybe I was just to tired to lift it properly out of Vvuv ;) )! If you're used to it though, stick with it. 1x11 is an option - personally I wouldn't run the ultra racey XX1. I would go with X01 or even a model 'lower' if there is such a thing by then. This said another friend of ours who recce'd with us moved from 1x11 to 2x10 for the actual race (RASA) and said it was a good move...

Or... singlespeed rigid... #justsaying :ph34r: .

I've got RASA 2016 in my sights. Next year I have an itch for a quicker R2R...

I've been riding the Epic while the Moots is in the shop and have been enjoying the rear suspension. That said though just having a working fork makes everything better.

The bike did feel heavy but I also packed it that way. Almost nothing on the back, everything in the saddle bag. It doesn't actually make that much different when portaging - once the bike is on the back it's all the same - although of course lifting the bike is tougher.

See you guys on the trail next year, and hopefully again in 2016.

Ok thanks I will also look at the Gore Tex option . Will be wearing my trusty Salomon shoes with flats .

I can seriously recommend the new Shimano MT44 shoes, they'll work much better your Salomons with Flats. Pearl Izumi also make some awesome equivelant shoes, but they are slightly more difficult to get hold off (you'll have to import them)

Ok I will have a look but looks like cross-country with bike is a big part and my solomons never failed in AR races

I can seriously recommend the new Shimano MT44 shoes, they'll work much better your Salomons with Flats. Pearl Izumi also make some awesome equivelant shoes, but they are slightly more difficult to get hold off (you'll have to import them)

Ok I will have a look but looks like cross-country with bike is a big part and my solomons never failed in AR races

These are great shoes for the trail. They ride well and hike well. :thumbup:

I used Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro IIIs and was happy with them. The buckle unclasped a few times on a rock or bush but generally they worked well. If you ride spd I'd recommend the trail style pedals as it gives a larger surface area for the shoe to push on. Unfortunately the PIs have been updated so I'm not sure how well the new ones will work.

I tried Shimano MT53s but decided I preferred the fit of the PIs. Of course fit is a personal preference.

I wouldn't use gore-tex. Your feet will get wet and gore-tex takes a long time to dry. Di used gore-tex and complained about that. I'd go with a quick drying mesh. The MT44s look pretty good - I'll have to try them.

If you're happy with platform pedals then ride that. Jill rode platforms, Beat will ride platforms, and in 2011 Mark rode platforms, and they were all very happy. Just watch those shins!

Finally - you may want to go a size up. Make sure you've tested the shoes with all the socks on that you plan to use. In 2011 my shoes were too tight which resulted in cold feet and residual numbness. This year it was better but I'll probably go another size up for 2015.

People on FC generally like Seal Skinz socks but I decided to try something different this year and used DryMax socks with a vapor barrier liner on the outside. They're essentially a fancy plastic bag, but worked well. I was very happy with the system. http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=672

Archived