[Event] Chris Willemse Cycles Durbie Dash

CWC Online

Hi fondriest650b,

I googled 'fullsuss survey medal' and came up with f'all. Really, you base your stastical analysis on a hidden unknown small little survey?

Lets not get medals at the argus and use that sample of feedback and feed that into your survey. Yeah, i thought so... you made no sense.

You charge me R200 and give me a plastic bottle opener? i and my family will never set foot in cwc for as long as i live.

On saturday my gf returned from botrivier half marathon R60 metal medal. Enouh said you greedy bunch.

What the hell guys !!!

Stop bloody complaining. You had the opportunity to ride on Saturday with fellow cyclist, in a well organized event in my opinion. So what if you don't get a medal, I have a stack of them and as Fondriest650b said, it is all in a drawer somewhere. I like the bottle opener, you can never have enough of those. Thanks CWC !!!

I sometimes get the distinct impression people go to a fun ride and then during the whole ride think of what they can complain about. Shame on you, how many of you actually thank a marshal when you pass him or give a thumbs up to a traffic officer ?

Jkoorts, if you feel that you get better value for money on a marathon, then sell your bike and buy some running shoes. Or go and cycle on your own . Saturday's routes are open to all TBMC members.

I don't ride to get a medal or a goodie bag. I pay my entry fee so i have the opportunity to compete with fellow cyclists, be it on road or a MTB. If i feel that the entry fee is too much, i go for a solo ride.

So let me be one of the shockingly few people on this thread to thank CWC for sponsoring this event with prizes, and to PPA for organizing the event. I had a very good day in the saddle, and will definitely be back next year.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read your Entry Info.

It says "No Chip, No time

Not PPA/Racetec's fault if you are not a member of PPA and don't read your Rules and Reg's when entering.........

I have a chip, hence I should get a time. Plus the extra R30 entry fee for not being a PPA member should cover the "perks" that a fully paid member receives

I have a chip, hence I should get a time. Plus the extra R30 entry fee for not being a PPA member should cover the "perks" that a fully paid member receives

Nope, that is the extra admin you cause, not your timing.

What the hell guys !!!

Stop bloody complaining. You had the opportunity to ride on Saturday with fellow cyclist, in a well organized event in my opinion. So what if you don't get a medal, I have a stack of them and as Fondriest650b said, it is all in a drawer somewhere. I like the bottle opener, you can never have enough of those. Thanks CWC !!!

I sometimes get the distinct impression people go to a fun ride and then during the whole ride think of what they can complain about. Shame on you, how many of you actually thank a marshal when you pass him or give a thumbs up to a traffic officer ?

Jkoorts, if you feel that you get better value for money on a marathon, then sell your bike and buy some running shoes. Or go and cycle on your own . Saturday's routes are open to all TBMC members.

I don't ride to get a medal or a goodie bag. I pay my entry fee so i have the opportunity to compete with fellow cyclists, be it on road or a MTB. If i feel that the entry fee is too much, i go for a solo ride.

So let me be one of the shockingly few people on this thread to thank CWC for sponsoring this event with prizes, and to PPA for organizing the event. I had a very good day in the saddle, and will definitely be back next year.

With suckers like yourself, we will get taken for a ride by organisers for a long time.  Fact is, last year the event was half the price, half. It had the same route, same venue, everything was exactly the same. No one complained. This year, they charge double, give you nothing in return for double the money, instead we recieved no medals, less marshalls, poor route markings, waterpoints that were so poorly stocked its a joke and a whole lot of lucky draw prizes that very few people actually care about. 

In 2 weeks time we go to Langebaan, Lagoon festival race, for a couple of years now the best race on the calendar. R115 entry, and they close the park for the day. I suggest you go ride that event, and then come back here and comment, and then if you still feel the Durbie Dash was so great, then good for you.

This is my "drawer". Spot the CWC "medal".http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af304/jkoorts/Untitled_zps37b849f9.jpg

What the hell guys !!!

With suckers like yourself, we will get taken for a ride by organisers for a long time.  Fact is, last year the event was half the price, half. It had the same route, same venue, everything was exactly the same. No one complained. This year, they charge double, give you nothing in return for double the money, instead we recieved no medals, less marshalls, poor route markings, waterpoints that were so poorly stocked its a joke and a whole lot of lucky draw prizes that very few people actually care about. 

In 2 weeks time we go to Langebaan, Lagoon festival race, for a couple of years now the best race on the calendar. R115 entry, and they close the park for the day. I suggest you go ride that event, and then come back here and comment, and then if you still feel the Durbie Dash was so great, then good for you.

As a matter of fact, i am going to ride that event, not to get a medal or to listen to people like you complain, but to enjoy the ride.

See you there in you Langebaan. I will be the guy with the smile on my face.

Racetec is owned by PPA so if you want to see results on racetec you have to be a PPA member.

Don't ask me why. I don't understand it but it is on the racetec and PPA sites.

Maybe PPA membership help pats the racetec database and hosting?

if i ride a race i would like something to show for it, otherwise i can get on my bike and go ride the route for free on a other day

Photos will be available on www.durbiedash.co.za within a week, with a link, as well as on the App ( App Store for iPhone  and on Google Play for Android phones ).

I would like to say thank you to the organisers for all the effort and CWC for sponsoring the event. As the race organisers mentioned there were a few teething issues and they will amend next year.

It seems there were more issues in the MTB event but personally found the road ride to be well organised and I will definitely return. I especially was impressed with the neutral zone which was actually neutral! Having a car in front of the bunch was fantastic!

I am not sure why people think it is ok to sit behind their computers and rip the race organizers and sponsors to shreds. A lot of effort goes into these things and personally feel that one should be careful about being so critical without all the facts.

R4500 for Wine to Whales, R25K for Epic, both fully booked  and the oaks moan about R200.

NO way you can compare those races to a local expensive ride.

I want to respond to this post.

This was a Fund Raiser, to create opportunities for kids less fortunate than ourselves, and  for Baby Nicela ( Kfm project of Ryan O Connor ).

Medals: According to a survey on FullSuss, only 15 % of riders want a medal. Most end up being thrown away or end up in a drawer. According to the same survey, riders prefer something useful, like a bottle opener - keyring, tyre levers, ect.

We will have a debrief meeting next week, and acknowledge the criticism and will learn from this. 

Thanks for the info.

This was the best organised event that i have been to so far this year but there are always areas to be improved on.

My only crit is the bottle opener we got. I am new to cycling - only started in feb 2014. I can see that the "also cycled" cyclists wont care about the medal as long as they finish. So maybe the solution is to have medals - decent medals that one can buy if you want it. R30 - R50 for the medal.

It is nice to get a medal, especially for the newbies like me that like to say - hey look at what did.. It motivates you. Makes you come back next year, makes you tell youre friends (advertising)... The bottle opener...well i am not sure where it is right now. To embarrassed to show it off. I cant display it, What drink still requires a bottle opener in any case these days... 

So ja,.. a good cause for charity and all but a medal would have been nice.

PS - The chocolate milky was awesome at the end!

I want to respond to this post.

Thanks for the info.

This was the best organised event that i have been to so far this year but there are always areas to be improved on.

My only crit is the bottle opener we got. I am new to cycling - only started in feb 2014. I can see that the "also cycled" cyclists wont care about the medal as long as they finish. So maybe the solution is to have medals - decent medals that one can buy if you want it. R30 - R50 for the medal.

It is nice to get a medal, especially for the newbies like me that like to say - hey look at what did.. It motivates you. Makes you come back next year, makes you tell youre friends (advertising)... The bottle opener...well i am not sure where it is right now. To embarrassed to show it off. I cant display it, What drink still requires a bottle opener in any case these days... 

So ja,.. a good cause for charity and all but a medal would have been nice.

PS - The chocolate milky was awesome at the end!

constructive criticism is very welcome to organisers as it helps them build on making events successful. Similarly noting the rave side of things will fuel enthusiasm to make it even better.

Archived