Urban MTB Assalt

fastlegs

My take on floating bridges.

Make sure you are in the right gear when you enter the bridge and then go. If there is any doubt or confusion you are going in the drink or ending up on TV.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's why they have rescue divers!

I have to wonder though (personally) about the efficacies of de-cleating while upside down underwater...

:eek:

--Andy

Hahaha...flats FTW! :D

Edit: I think having the floating bridge is great! I survived that one (when it was on Sani) once. I might not again, but I will still try. I am glad it is here so people that dont have the opertunity to ride sani etc can do so now.

Any indication of how wide/stable the bridge will be?

If it's anything like that dodgy floating bridge at Heia Safari, there are going to be a lot of swimmers.

If it's anything like that dodgy floating bridge at Heia Safari, there are going to be a lot of swimmers.

Yip that Heia Safari floating bridge is a fear factor floating bridge.

As far as I can remember each block is about 350mm-400mm.

The last time I rode this type of set-up it feels like you ride 'up-hill' all the time and when you turn the bridge kinda go further into the outside corner. riders right behind one another is very tricky.

post-24697-0-37888300-1410847289_thumb.jpg

Yip that Heia Safari floating bridge is a fear factor floating bridge.

So much this. Started over it the other day, less than 10m in I started wobbling like there was no tomorrow, backward noped out of that one very quick. This one look much more stable so let's hope.

We rode at Heira about 4 weeks ago on a Saturday morning.

My mate was in front and went ahead first over that bridge. 60 % of the way across he was fine but then there was a slight right turn on that bridge and the bridge was sagging left in the turn.

I was watching and as he was turning his rear wheel was starting to slide left into the sag and the next thing he face planted on the bridge. Neither him nor the bike ended up in the water but he had a good graze on his chin and hurt his neck slightly.

Problem with that bridge is its not wide and sure as hell not stable enough.

Must say the bridge picture in post 101 does look like who ever built it went to bridge building school and passed.

I think the Heira bridge builder maybe drove past the bridge building school.

The one thing I will give that Heira bridge is that you get some serious entertainment watching crossings and can have good laughs.

As long as the riders are well spaced and got their gearing right, there shouldn't be too many issues.

Just don't look at the water!

Righto. Full answer from Neil Evans (the "technical MTB brain behind the course design" - as they call him).

"The first 10-15kms is generally wide and open with numerous overtaking places as each batch settles into riding formation. This is one aspect where the course designers are making a concerted effort to minimize such a possibility."

Hope that answers? 10-15kms should be more than enough to leave me behind so I don't get in your way ;)

--Andy

Too late I have entered anyway! :clap:

Cant wait for it. Need to practice my fast starts now...

Going to release this info in an interview I did with Russell Willis... buuut, since you asked so nicely. It's going to be wider than usual. I guess they're trying to get the balance of rescue divers right :P

3 to 3.5m. At least that's what Russell says...

--Andy

In that case you could drive a car over it.

Next I can see three guys riding next to one another crossing it as they race.

In that case you could drive a car over it.

Next I can see three guys riding next to one another crossing it as they race.

And the problem with that is? If they want to take the risk then it is up to them... Same as anyone who gets on a bike and wants to do something.

All I hear from you is negativity of this, that or everything....Perhaps you should not do the race, you might save yourself the agony!

There again if you went with an open mind, considered the possibilities, considered the time and effort people are putting in to try and make this unique... You might actually embrace the concept and who knows enjoy yourself....

I guess there is no pleasing some people!

If you read some posts back you will see I said the bridge looks descent.

I think this race is going to be good fun.

The only bridge I was negative about was the Heira Safari bridge. I think it needs some work.

To make it up to you I will buy you a beer at the race afterwards.

Archived