Urban MTB Assalt

fastlegs

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check the site... its mapped on that and you can send it to your phone for GPS tracking. Its open track so yes you can rock up and ride.

http://www.juma.co.za/course/

The sections in the storm water drain are going to be interesting to say the least... the 1 foot dropoffs every 10 meters with slippery surfaces are going to test even the skilled riders, and the section to Innesfree Park isn't the most sanitary spot Ive ever witnessed. We sent a letter to the organizers with some constructive criticism and haven't heard back from them so I only hope for their sake that people take a LOT of care. Try riding that part of the course just to get a feel. It will help you immensly on the day.

One last thing, if you are in any group besides the real front runners, expect to be held up. There are scaffolding stairs in and out of the storm drains which you have to get off your bike to do, and hopefully they put grippy surfaces on these as mtb shoes dont grip to the metal surfaces to well (one of the guys wiped out quite badly and smashed his bike in the process).

Maybe slightly less excited than I was before I read this. Perhaps they are still busy working on some issues.

Oh well, worst case it will be a lekker morning out on the bike

Got you an answer from the organisers, a channel of enquiry for you. Not really up to us unfortunately.

"You'll have to contact Eunice & Riaan from CycleEvents to try and arrange, however this is up to CycleEvents to allow - depending on the admin it creates".

You can contact Eunice / Riaan on: eunice@cycleevents.co.za or riaan@cycleevents.co.za

--Andy

Thanks Andy

Think I'll just leave it. I believe the money is being used for Parks and upgrading the Spruit areas which we ride on a regular basis, so cash well spent.

Sounds like you already had your moneys worth and you had a clear route with no bottlenecks, you should be happy.

You are 100% right. 5000 cyclists all "storming" the drains will be interesting to watch.

Thanks Andy

Think I'll just leave it. I believe the money is being used for Parks and upgrading the Spruit areas which we ride on a regular basis, so cash well spent.

Actually I think it will still be a good idea to go ride so one can give good feedback for the events to come. I know there are some people involved that will really take it serious what riders have to say afterwards.

I just hope that the 'walkers' will be considerate for when there is people coming through that can actually ride the tech sections. They should have a designated walk side and ride side over the tech sections.

Not sure why all the race snakes are worried about bottle necks... it's a seeded race, if you're a racer you will be with your fellow professionals eating up the course from the front  :thumbup:

And if you're not seeded, please don't ruin the party/vibe for the rest of us with cry's of passing right so that you can sneak into position 2000 - have some fun out there, that's what this race is all about  :thumbup:

Jozi Urban Mtb Adventure  :clap:

Hoping to go over 4hours on Sunday - just leave me some Mitchells demmit  :cursing:

Not sure why all the race snakes are worried about bottle necks... it's a seeded race, if you're a racer you will be with your fellow professionals eating up the course from the front  :thumbup:

And if you're not seeded, please don't ruin the party/vibe for the rest of us with cry's of passing right so that you can sneak into position 2000 - have some fun out there, that's what this race is all about  :thumbup:

Jozi Urban Mtb Adventure  :clap:

Hoping to go over 4hours on Sunday - just leave me some Mitchells demmit  :cursing:

That's the spirit!

--Andy

Hey Just want to find out if someone entered for the 52 can they change it to the 25km one. If On the day they're not feeling it can they do The short route instead or will it count as a DNF?

Got you an answer from the organisers, it's really accomodating :)

"That’s no problem, they can just do the 22km if they don’t feel well. The timing mats will just pick up when you start that you decided to do the shorter route."

But obviously we hope you're feeling it.

Someone has to keep me company at the back of the pack.

--Andy

Is there substitution? Want to sell my entry.

Hey Paulst12. I would be very happy to take your 52km entry off your hands. Send me a message.

Ello ello HUBbers. Quick note on PARKING from the organisers...

(hopefully this doesn't start a flood of questions - all info is avail on the site as well as contact details if you have a super specific question - but this should cover it). As with all things Jozi and Parking related, come early (or get dropped off).

:)

• Parking for the Hollard JUMA at Marks Park Sports Club
  • Access to the parking fields is off ORANGE ROAD
  • Cars must turn left or right off Judith into Orange  road coming from either Beuyers Naude or Barry Hertzog.
  • Cars must not attempt to come up Orange road from Emmarentia dam side as road closures will be in effect over Olifants and Louw Geldenhuys from 4:30am on the 12th Oct.

--Andy

Seriously Miff.

I entered myself for the 52km and my sons, 11 and 13 for the 22km. All paid for and confirmed on the 30th July. Got an Email this morning from the organisers claiming that they had made an error in allowing my sons to enter. This was done in the interest of safety as they are too young...... what B$ll Sfit. My sons, both doing well in a various XCO races are probably more capable than a lot of the weekend warriors that are going to be at risk out there. How and where should youngsters start riding if they are being prevented from participating in events like this.

My sons are totally amped up for this, dreading their disappointment when I have to break the news. 

To the organisers, Andy, what is the reasoning behind this please?

Check the site... its mapped on that and you can send it to your phone for GPS tracking. Its open track so yes you can rock up and ride.

http://www.juma.co.za/course/

The sections in the storm water drain are going to be interesting to say the least... the 1 foot dropoffs every 10 meters with slippery surfaces are going to test even the skilled riders, and the section to Innesfree Park isn't the most sanitary spot Ive ever witnessed. We sent a letter to the organizers with some constructive criticism and haven't heard back from them so I only hope for their sake that people take a LOT of care. Try riding that part of the course just to get a feel. It will help you immensly on the day.

One last thing, if you are in any group besides the real front runners, expect to be held up. There are scaffolding stairs in and out of the storm drains which you have to get off your bike to do, and hopefully they put grippy surfaces on these as mtb shoes dont grip to the metal surfaces to well (one of the guys wiped out quite badly and smashed his bike in the process).

Got a detailed reply from the organisers on this, thought it might be interesting for everyone to read...

How does one find the route?

The route will be marked and ready for race day

The sections in the storm water drain are going to be interesting to say the least... the 1 foot dropoffs every 10 meters with slippery surfaces are going to test even the skilled riders, and the section to Innesfree Park isn't the most sanitary spot Ive ever witnessed. We sent a letter to the organizers with some constructive criticism and haven't heard back from them so I only hope for their sake that people take a LOT of care. Try riding that part of the course just to get a feel. It will help you immensly of the day.

The Juma is an Urban Adventure, not a traditional mountain bike race. When you line up at the start you will be one of 5000 privileged riders who will breaking ground in a new experience which will require a new mental approach to this race. As much as we have created a unique experience, you must be prepared to adapt to these new conditions and challenges.

Storm water drains will be slippery where green moss has grown. You will get wet! Ride with caution at your own comfortable pace. Metal scaffolding ramps will be relatively steep. For cautious riders form two queues as there is enough space to have walkers on one side and riders on the other side. Some of the tunnels are low or have low overhead pipes, so they must be ridden accordingly. New sections of single track have some testing technical challenges. Whilst we will all be on a new learning curve, remember its “challenge accepted”!

Brace yourselves :)

--Andy

Hey Paulst12. I would be very happy to take your 52km entry off your hands. Send me a message.

Nevermind...got one. Showed one of the guys at work the pics on another forum and scared him into giving me his. Mwahahahahaha

Nevermind...got one. Showed one of the guys at work the pics on another forum and scared him into giving me his. Mwahahahahaha

:-)... okay, then ignore my mail i posted to you

Archived