[Event] Magoebaskloof MTB Classic

Steve101

The better half and I are booked in at the Magoebaskloof Hotel, sort of a play back from way back when I used to do a brick session for Leppin Iron Man. Paddle 20k Ebenezer, Run 12k to Road, Cycle 70k to Tzaneen and back to the Hotel for buffet lunch. All before the great fire! A place mired in lore and mystery, of great feat and adventure. If only Tolkien could witness the the spectacle of courage and endeavour and what words would he use to describe our journey on the 8th of November in the fourteenth year of the twentieth century.

Yoooh, heavy stuff........you are however allowed to use simpler four letter adjectives and nouns during race day.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yoooh, heavy stuff........you are however allowed to use simpler four letter adjectives and nouns during race day.

*** is a three letter word and totally appropriate for what we are about to receive!

*** is a three letter word and totally appropriate for what we are about to receive!

Ja dit is so.......but that is at the end when you start using the Afrikaans......initially keep it English

Hi guys, don't stress too much about the hills. Yes there are a few monsters but we wouldn't do this if it were easy. The views and bragging rights are well worth the climbs. The secret is just to pace yourself - you can always sprint it out over the last few km's if you still have leftover legs. Looking forward to seeing some old friends and new faces on the Mountain soon. If you haven't entered yet you can do so here: http://swillson.wix.com/slctrichallenge

Hey Steve

I'm not stressing...I'm super excited. I'm fairly fit at the moment so really looking forward to tackling this event. I sure all the climbing will hurt but hey they call it MOUNTAIN biking ;-)

Hope to meet some of you guys on the route.

Those little undulations are the ones that hurt, because it always seems like you are peddling uphill, the down bits are over so quickly. But I like that significant downhill bit towards the end.  The first half up and along the ridge of the escarpment: nice!

Might be coming from the Lowveld/Hoedspruit, any recommendations for Protea-hotel like abodes en-route Tzaneen-side?

Just go slowly on the downhills....they will last longer...:).

Those little undulations are the ones that hurt, because it always seems like you are peddling uphill, the down bits are over so quickly. But I like that significant downhill bit towards the end.  The first half up and along the ridge of the escarpment: nice!

Might be coming from the Lowveld/Hoedspruit, any recommendations for Protea-hotel like abodes en-route Tzaneen-side?

Budget accommodation, Magoebaskloof Ruskamp. Have stayed there many times in the rondawels. Lekker place for the kids to operate

5* place = Bramasole. Opposite Magoebaskloof Hotel.

Cherio Gardens, I think

Hi guys, don't stress too much about the hills. Yes there are a few monsters but we wouldn't do this if it were easy. The views and bragging rights are well worth the climbs. The secret is just to pace yourself - you can always sprint it out over the last few km's if you still have leftover legs. Looking forward to seeing some old friends and new faces on the Mountain soon. If you haven't entered yet you can do so here: http://swillson.wix.com/slctrichallenge

You can't scare me. I can walk anything!

I am in for the 80km. Getting my first new full suspension 29er end of this week. (From a 29er HT) So going to break her in on this race. Staying at Magoebaskloof hotel. Would love to link up with those who are there.

Kosmo - if you are going to be staying in Tzaneen why not just push through and stay at the Magoebaskloof hotel, much of a muchness in regards to price and you will be nice and close to the race.

Kosmo - if you are going to be staying in Tzaneen why not just push through and stay at the Magoebaskloof hotel, much of a muchness in regards to price and you will be nice and close to the race.

Maybe the 3.5km from hotel to venue is too short for a proper warm-up..........me thinks he is a strong MTBer and needs longer distance and more climbing.......25km from Tzaneen with almost 700m vertical climb should do the trick.......

post-41755-0-68188100-1414142591_thumb.jpg

Hey Barhugger I was being rather cryptic here so here are the facts. The Magoebaskloof hotel was nearly put out of business thanks to a fire some years back but the rebuilt it but the iconic thatched roof is gone forever. As for the heavy stuff Tolkien is purported to have been inspired to write the Lord of the rings after spending some time in the indigenous forests of Magoebaskloof. Hence the reference to greats feats and lore but do not forget the Legend of Mojadji, the rain queen. Hopefully she'll keep her talents at bay until after the ride!

Hey Barhugger I was being rather cryptic here so here are the facts. The Magoebaskloof hotel was nearly put out of business thanks to a fire some years back but the rebuilt it but the iconic thatched roof is gone forever. As for the heavy stuff Tolkien is purported to have been inspired to write the Lord of the rings after spending some time in the indigenous forests of Magoebaskloof. Hence the reference to greats feats and lore but do not forget the Legend of Mojadji, the rain queen. Hopefully she'll keep her talents at bay until after the ride!

Yip, hopefully no rain.......but it is a tuffy in a place with the highest average rain fall, and even if it does not rain, there is enough mud in the indigenous forest sections to keep it interesting.......especially when going downhill. Have stayed over at the hotel.......but rather visit a friend of mine that stays on the mountain.......the view from his lounge is just pure awesomeness.

We prefer to stay in one of the many self catering facilities in and around Haenertsberg.

Eat at the pub except for brekkies and sarmies .The fishing is good

The Magoebaskloof hiking trail is brilliant and I have done it a number of times .Love those forests.Some old trees in there

For the more adventurous The Wolkberg mountains offers some of the best wilderness hiking in the country

Oh and it always rains in those mountains.

Archived