[Event] Magoebaskloof MTB Classic

Steve101

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much climbing can we expect? In meters?

Take a look at this thread:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/132523-is-magoebaskloof-absolute-hill-phobic-friendly/

Also, the routes and distances shown on the Google profiles will most probably form part of this event's routes...........iow looking at approximately 700m climbing in 30km (maybe close to 1800-2000 in 80km).

Pack your climbing legs.

Yes

Pak klim bene vir die lange......and that is why I will only be doing the 40km........still want to braai and kuier the evening with friends that stay there (on the mountain - pure awesomeness). Does not help if you are knackered after the race and can not enjoy the locals' hospitality (wisdom gained by experience). Hey, if you feel fit, brave and tough enough......climb away. It will be an experience to boast about.

Pak klim bene vir die lange......and that is why I will only be doing the 40km........still want to braai and kuier the evening with friends that stay there (on the mountain - pure awesomeness). Does not help if you are knackered after the race and can not enjoy the locals' hospitality (wisdom gained by experience). Hey, if you feel fit, brave and tough enough......climb away. It will be an experience to boast about.

The pub in Haenertsberg pumps the night before and they sell the best Steak Egg and Chips I have had after the race

My Strava Android app showed 2 338 last year with 79.6k

The pub in Haenertsberg pumps the night before and they sell the best Steak Egg and Chips I have had after the race

And the Pot and Plow serves the best Pizzas in the Limpopo province.

You see.......race wity big character organised by a local community.......no big "YOU DO AS I SAY" sponsor.......makes it very special and preferred.

PS: approaching a water point somwhere in the middle of a plantation or bush section after a steep climb......always paradise!

Those little undulations are the ones that hurt, because it always seems like you are peddling uphill, the down bits are over so quickly. But I like that significant downhill bit towards the end.  The first half up and along the ridge of the escarpment: nice!

Might be coming from the Lowveld/Hoedspruit, any recommendations for Protea-hotel like abodes en-route Tzaneen-side?

Those little undulations are the ones that hurt, because it always seems like you are peddling uphill, the down bits are over so quickly. But I like that significant downhill bit towards the end. The first half up and along the ridge of the escarpment: nice!

Might be coming from the Lowveld/Hoedspruit, any recommendations for Protea-hotel like abodes en-route Tzaneen-side?

Best place to book is Magoebaskloof Hotel, seeing that the race is organised by Stanford Lake College. It is close-by. Had an enjoyable stay there earlier this year, also for a Magoebas race, however started at Hans Merensky in Tzaneen.

Best place to book is Magoebaskloof Hotel, seeing that the race is organised by Stanford Lake College. It is close-by. Had an enjoyable stay there earlier this year, also for a Magoebas race, however started at Hans Merensky in Tzaneen.

Thanks - stayed there last time, coming from Hoedspruit this time.

The better half and I are booked in at the Magoebaskloof Hotel, sort of a play back from way back when I used to do a brick session for Leppin Iron Man. Paddle 20k Ebenezer, Run 12k to Road, Cycle 70k to Tzaneen and back to the Hotel for buffet lunch. All before the great fire! A place mired in lore and mystery, of great feat and adventure. If only Tolkien could witness the spectacle of courage and endeavour and what words would he use to describe our journey on the 8th of November in the fourteenth year of the twenty first century.

Archived