MTB for heavy rider (105kg)

spano

The Sola 2 comes with Alex XD's. Haven't ridden them but I do have the Alex XD Lite 26" on my other bike, I';m about 95kg and I nailed them hard on the Magalies Monster putting a few dings in over the rocks with no problems. So like everyone says, have a reputable builder look them over but they should be all good.

I have Alex XD comp rims with Deore hubs and those rims are bullet proof. Silverback after sales is also great and they usually come in at better value for money.

Edit: Just to add that the sola comes with the better deore brakes and the Recon silver fork. Apart from that and the wheels the bikes are almost exactly the same. Check the geometry and the one that feels best should be ok.

Edited by l4y3rcake

I weight in at 104 (pure lean muscle, not really!) and ride a full sus Scott spark 29er. Nothing broken yet, but think the full suspension helps a bit.

Guest Smimby

The scotts standard wheels do not have a fantastic track record......

The Silverback wheels look stronger.

Bikes are good my preference would be Silverback but as mentioned get strong wheels, i previously had Alex wheels on 26" MTB and was forever replacing spokes, changed to DRC and have not even had to true them since.

i was on a Scott Scale eoite 29er. similar to the 960. i weighed 107 at the time. the syncro wheels handled my weight and the bike performs wekk with a heavy rider.

Scott all the way.

or look at a second hand Scale 940. they going for around 12000

The scotts standard wheels do not have a fantastic track record......

The Silverback wheels look stronger.

the entry level scott aspects use to have Alex rims. they are awfull. fractured my wrist after i pretzeled one last year.

the Sclae however comes with Syncros. musch much better

Guest Travis.

Okes, dipslick is an expert in this area.

He should be asked.

Hi guys, I weigh between 120-125kg and just got my GT Karakoram on Sunday, 29er with Alex rims. It has 32 spokes, not 28, so being a heavy rider shouldn't be an issue. At this stage, heavy riders should be working on getting fitness up and weight down on tar. I won't even be doing smooth ST for the next few months, so wheels/spokes bending won't be a problem as roads are about as smooth and level as you get.

105kg on a Sola 2 will be just fine as long as he's not abusing it, initially. When we decide to hit the trails, then consider upgrading.

Hi guys, I weigh between 120-125kg and just got my GT Karakoram on Sunday, 29er with Alex rims. It has 32 spokes, not 28, so being a heavy rider shouldn't be an issue. At this stage, heavy riders should be working on getting fitness up and weight down on tar. I won't even be doing smooth ST for the next few months, so wheels/spokes bending won't be a problem as roads are about as smooth and level as you get.

105kg on a Sola 2 will be just fine as long as he's not abusing it, initially. When we decide to hit the trails, then consider upgrading.

no!!! Hit the single track! you will go off your rocker riding flat stuff, haha. Riding is about having fun as well as getting fit. Then one might aswell get a indoor trainer... at least then you wont get hit by car!

Living in the cape means we have some of the sweetest trails

no!!! Hit the single track! you will go off your rocker riding flat stuff, haha. Riding is about having fun as well as getting fit. Then one might aswell get a indoor trainer... at least then you wont get hit by car!

Plus! Singletrack will make you fitter, faster! Far more cardio intensive than jeep track. Short bursts as well as tempo sessions. And you won't go mad!

Plus! Singletrack will make you fitter, faster! Far more cardio intensive than jeep track. Short bursts as well as tempo sessions. And you won't go mad!

Hi 115kg odd. Bought a Axis A10 29er XO X9 mix. Ride it like a complete idiot (due to zero skills) nothing broken yet. I paid R11500.