2 x 10 vs 1 x 11

Nev1

I'm thinking of changing from my XT 2 x 10 to Sram XO1 1 x 11 but I'm not sure I'm strong enough? I usually ride in my 26T ring in the front. I really need to keep my granny gear as is for steep climbs. Any advice?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have answered yourself.

Keep the 2x10.

Progressively spend more time using the biggers gears untill your stronger, then think about changing if you still want to

I think you have answered yourself.

Keep the 2x10.

Progressively spend more time using the biggers gears untill your stronger, then think about changing if you still want to

Nay. Bite a pill of HTFU and make the leap.

26/34 is 0.765:1

32/42 is 0.762:1

I used to ride 3x10 but hardly used small ring and recently bought a bike that came with 1x11. it has a 34 blade in front and I find it to be ok, there is times when I feel I need about 2 more gears near the end of a 3 hour ride around the tygerberg hills trails, but I still grind through it. You can also buy a different front ring for climbing but has less top end to start off with & its only 4 bolts to loosen. Im loving having 1 shifter no front derailleur & no chain drops (yet). But if I never bought the bike like this I probably would have changed to 2x10 as it is a safer bet. Its the way forward for simplicity but its also not cheap to maintain (the downside)That's my opinion - use it lose it

3 factors not mentioned;

-if you ride mostly on prepared mtb trails the gradients are usually more friendly than unprepared stuff. If you like to explore then more gears can be nice.

-don't forget if you are changing wheel size as well as gears (i.e. a new bike) then bigger wheels are harder to pedal with the same gearing

- if you prefer spinning (high cadence) to pushing hard then reduced gear range will affect you more.

Home turf for me is Hilton/Cedara/Karkloof. On my 3x9 26" bike I was only using big ring 42t for the local trails on a 11-36 cassette. Changing to a 29er I'm glad I went 2 x10 with 26-38 front on a 11-36 cassette. Dont use the small blade much on the trails but it is nice for exploring new ground which is much rougher and steeper at times

Edited by JXV

I used to ride 3x10 but hardly used small ring and recently bought a bike that came with 1x11. it has a 34 blade in front and I find it to be ok, there is times when I feel I need about 2 more gears near the end of a 3 hour ride around the tygerberg hills trails, but I still grind through it. You can also buy a different front ring for climbing but has less top end to start off with & its only 4 bolts to loosen. Im loving having 1 shifter no front derailleur & no chain drops (yet). But if I never bought the bike like this I probably would have changed to 2x10 as it is a safer bet. Its the way forward for simplicity but its also not cheap to maintain (the downside)That's my opinion - use it lose it

Why isn't 1 X 11 cheap to maintain? Its less components than a 2 X 10?

The bike I bought came with sram xx1 & a cassette is +- R3800. Im just comparing to XT prices which I rode before

Latest & greatest, new, fashionable, lighter. Less of them so economy of scale also a factor. More desirable to the market = higher price. Things sell for the price the market will bear.

Just thinking wouldn't there also be more wear on the front blade as normally you would occasionally at least use the others you had on 2* or 3* ? Having said that I mostly use the middle blade on my 3* bikes and that's the only one I have to replace ....

Just thinking wouldn't there also be more wear on the front blade as normally you would occasionally at least use the others you had on 2* or 3* ? Having said that I mostly use the middle blade on my 3* bikes and that's the only one I have to replace ....

Good thing with that is that when the one side wears, you can just turn it around and use the other - no wear! Instant new chainring!

Good thing with that is that when the one side wears, you can just turn it around and use the other - no wear! Instant new chainring!

Didn't know that, thanks man!

11 Speed cassette = R3400

10 Speed cassette = R800

For an XT, yeah. Have a look at the XTR. That's a more comparable cassette than the XT / SLX.

Do normal people ride with XTR? I thought just the Pro`s do....

Anyhow the point i am trying to make is riding a 1x10 will be alot cheaper.

I recently changed to 1x10.put a 30tooth chainring i front and a 42 tooth at the back. Works so well. And you won't lack speed on the flats either. And like the other guys said. 1x11 is expensive and the drivetrain seems to need replacing very quickly. But thats what i heard.. Not a fact.