Shifter Problem?

JJDT

I do have this weird problem and thinking it is a possible shifter problem.

Bike is a GT with a Deore LX crankset and a Deore casette.

When I'm riding and find a climb that I need to shift in the low gear (1st) and putting in effort to climb (standing) the chain slips on the middle chainring (feels like it need to shift down to the crawl gear but it stops between the two chainrings). If I engage the shifter to shift to the large chainring as to bring the chain back there is nothing feels like a shifter with no tension at at all. Release the shifter and shift again then there is tension again. Only does this in the low gear the rest of the gears is fine even when pedalling hard in those gears.

I have replaced the casette, chain and the chainring with new parts.

Your cable might not be seated properly inside the shifter. Try a new cable and casing, and set your gears. Cable and casing R100.

Difficult to advise without seeing. To me sounds like the chain or chainring could be worn. The "dead" feeling would be because the shift has happened without the shifter engaging ie the shifter still thinks it is still on the mid ring so you would have to shift down first and then back to the middle ring. I would try another chain to see if it still happens.

Difficult to advise without seeing. To me sounds like the chain or chainring could be worn. The "dead" feeling would be because the shift has happened without the shifter engaging ie the shifter still thinks it is still on the mid ring so you would have to shift down first and then back to the middle ring. I would try another chain to see if it still happens.

He did say he replaced the chain etc. with new ones ...... B)

I had kind of a similar issue with Dura Ace. Would not shift down to the lowest gear.

Ended up being the cable not sliding properly in the housing so the derailure did not shift all the way, and the shifter would not engage to shift.

Simply cleaning the cables and housing sorted the problem.

Might be a similar issue