C4 Cycles Fail - FiT Sportslab Major Win

ValeYellow

Now that's how you keep someone happy!

indeed, better known as customer service, sadly something that eludes most people in the service industry...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its funny how something so small could have saved this man a lot of grief. Even saved him from having to vent on the hub........But then if he did not vent he would not have received this response....Always so much issues where as if he fixed his buckle from day one all of this would have been sorted :clap: :clap: :clap:

a lesson I learnt very early in my retail days, no matter how big or small the issue, no matter how much or how little the customer spends, a happy customer is a customer for life.

But now, Vale, I would recommend changing the title to "(insert LBS name) Fail".

It looks like Gavin has held the LG name up high here.

C4 Cycles in Randpark Ridge, located in the shopping centre between CR Swart and Ysterhout on Beyers Naude

But now, Vale, I would recommend changing the title to "(insert LBS name) Fail".

It looks like Gavin has held the LG name up high here.

Gavin has certainly held the LG flag very high......

my IT skills fail me, have no clue how to do that,

Easy.....go to your original first post, click on edit "button" and make sure you use the full editor function. Topic heading bar will also be active to change whatever you please........

.........otherwise just consult the HUB tutorial function (or pm F.R.A.I.L -he is a pro).

Gavin has certainly held the LG flag very high......

Gav's a good lad. Quite a few years back, I got an Epic entry through the lottery. I had to pay some time in December, which I was going to use my 13th cheque to do. Then I had the latest in a long spate of break-ins at my house - it is the one in which Tumbleweed went missing (some hubbers will remember that story) -and decided to give up on the idea of doing the race, and bolstering security at home. Gav contacted me and said that if I could find some way of still affording the entry, he would assist me in other ways, like supplements, etc. Alas, I couldn't do the race, but it was awesome to get such a selfless offer.

Edited by Tumbleweed

As I see it you are unrealistic:

- As LBS said, those parts carry no warranty

- He tried to HELP you out, and for that you feel ripped off?!

- The LG part would have been way more, but he gave you an alternative at a good price, which he would need to buy. So why are you then unwilling to pay for it? It makes no sense.

- I speak under correction, but pretty sure LG is not an ASG brand. They need not comment on their (sidi) part being used for something else.

- It sounds like you have an issue with the LBS, for something that has nothing to do with them. Moan about LG then if you need to vent (over 50 bucks)

Stuff breaks, you should be happy with the assistance and advice you got from LBS to sort something that was neither a warranty issue nor their problem.

I tend to disagree

Firstly.... by law,all products have a mandatory minimum of 12 months warranty,

the only exclusions is,if items are tampered with or not used for the pupose advertised etc etc and all depends on the product.

All those signs you read like no warranty/returns on sale items,no refunds etc etc..are all illegal...come accross them?..report them...full stop....biggest culprits are the spaza shops and China Town special everywhere...just laugh them off...this is the West not the east...

The manuf/supplier can offer additional warranty,24 mths,3yrs,5 yrs and even 10 yrs to a lifetime on certain products and can state that it is non transferable etc etc

They can use this warranty in advertising marketing etc etc to get a larger slice of the market

Secondly....the contract of sale is between the retailer and the purchaser....so it is illegal to force someone to deal directly with the manufacturer/wholesaler/importer etc

The purchaser can use his discretion if he wants to deal direct with supplier if for eg:the suppliers premises are closer to his home or for whatever reason the consumer decides.

It is the choice of the mnf/importer/wholesaler if he wishes to deal directly with the purchaser/enduser,some do as a courtesy ,some say they only deal with their customers as all credits etc etc are done on RA forms and dont deal with consumers etc etc

Now in this case... the ratchets are replacing the laces,which means they should last longer than 12 months,so unless there is any information on the tag,box,sole etc etc,stating that the laces or ratchets,specifically,are not covered under warranty...(suicide by the manuf so i doubt youll find anything)You have a claim to warranty,and the ball is in your court whether you spend your airtime,your petrol or your sanity to recover what is your legal right.

We all agree that its not economical spending R300 on all the above avenues,trying to recover a warranty for say.... a ballpoint pen worth R9.95...we would all just walk away with a few cursed parables ...and so be it...

typically in 9/10 cases...with larger stores...simple issues like these are solved instantly,and is an additional reason,besides price that consumers flock to the majors.

and if I knew of an independant retailer who squabbled over such a trivial matter,if I had the time and wanted to put an effort into it...I'd definetly post my story on Hello Peter and made sure immediate family and friends didnt support such a store

Edited by exsanguinator

Sorry to high jack this thread but i had a similar problem only with a GPS unit...(will not mention the brand). My first unit was 9 months old and started fogging up behind the screen which ended up calling it quits. Phoned the suppliers and they would take a look if i courier it to them. COOL...done!

So 3 weeks later received a phone call to say my package is on its way with new unit. Happy days.....But 13 months later same story but only this time my unit did not charge neither would it switch on. So sent it back. I received a phone call again. This time from the technician.

Sorry sir we can not repair it and its out of warranty....You can however pay R800 for a replacement unit and we will send you one again.....Needles to say, what happened to the 2 year warranty per unit and why would i let myself be burnt again with the same product and be R 800 bucks out of pocket....? Thanks but no thanks. The unit is still by them and they can keep it for all i care...Bought a R 500 jobby and works just fine.

I have been saying it for a while now...Customer service in this country is a complete F@#$% up. Bottom line..People who have successful businesses are the ones who place their customers first because they are the ones that keep the doors open. AS long as he or she walks out the door with a smile he or she will always come back to support you. Place them above your own personal gain and you'll make a success of anything regarding retail.

Just my 2cents

There is a clause somewhere that,for once,favours the manufacturer...LOL..only fair..

Warranty is from the original date of purchase

A good example is if an item fails on the last day of the stated warranty and the new replaced item fails a week later,the supplier can use their discretion if they will replace the item again,which they are not legally obliged to do

Again it comes down to common courtesy,your attitude,the warranty clerks attitude,the weather bla bla bla...

All those signs you read like no warranty/returns on sale items,no refunds etc etc..are all illegal...come accross them?..report them...full stop....biggest culprits are the spaza shops and China Town special everywhere...just laugh them off...this is the West not the east...

What about returns/exchanges on sale items?

I have seen a good few shops try that no returns/exchanges trick on sale items, is that allowed?

From I understand the shop have to honour the warranty on sale items but I would not not necessarily be entitled to return or exchange the item, that's up to the shops discretion.

What about returns/exchanges on sale items?

I have seen a good few shops try that no returns/exchanges trick on sale items, is that allowed?

From I understand the shop have to honour the warranty on sale items but I would not not necessarily be entitled to return or exchange the item, that's up to the shops discretion.

Your second part is incorrect

the consumer law is very clear and states in black and white.

Anything sold as new,be it on sale,old stock, etc etc carries a full 12 month warranty and is covered by the same clauses as a normal item bought at any retailer in RSA.

Even pawn shops selling brand new items are covered by the same clause as they have to disclose if the item is new(12mths) or s/h(3 mths minimum)

What i'd like to mention is that in none of my statements ,have I mentioned that its a breeze and just a quick call to the Consumer Council to get anything resolved,

although the digital world has improved things a bit ...the time frames and hairloss can be an obstacle for most people to pursue their issue

I would also like to congratulate some of the Majors on even offering "change of mind" returns with full refunds or exchanges, which is definetely not covered under consumer law.

it shows that to keep the customers coming back some retailers go over and above their obligations and duties.

I cant wait for the day all local e-commerce retailers offer a 30 day exhange/refund and free postage like the overseas online shops

The wheels of commerce are slowly turning...free wi-fi is a perfect example...

Edited by exsanguinator

Anything sold as new,be it on sale,old stock, etc etc carries a full 12 month warranty and is covered by the same clauses as a normal item bought at any retailer in RSA.

Even pawn shops selling brand new items are covered by the same clause as they have to disclose if the item is new(12mths) or s/h(3 mths minimum)

What i'd like to mention is that in none of my statements ,have I mentioned that its a breeze and just a quick call to the Consumer Council to get anything resolved,

although the digital world has improved things a bit ...the time frames and hairloss can be an obstacle for most people to pursue their issue

I would also like to congratulate some of the Majors on even offering "change of mind" returns with full refunds or exchanges, which is definetely not covered under consumer law.

it shows that to keep the customers coming back some retailers go over and above their obligations and duties.

I cant wait for the day all local e-commerce retailers offer a 30 day exhange/refund and free postage like the overseas online shops

The CPA states six months.

Your understanding of the CPA is incorrect. So is your assertion about how easy it is to get the "council" to act. The Consumer Commission is underfunded and oversubscribed. While the CPA is a wonderful piece of legislation, it is not a heal-all for all ills. Especially not when misinformation about it is presented like you have in your posts on this thread. I suggest you read the act.

Edited by Tumbleweed

Your understanding of the CPA is incorrect. So is your assertion about how easy it is to get the "council" to act. The Consumer Commission is underfunded and oversubscribed. While the CPA is a wonderful piece of legislation, it is not a heal-all for all ills. Especially not when misinformation about it is presented like you have in your posts on this thread. I suggest you read the act.

Firstly I said "What i'd like to mention is that in none of my statements ,have I mentioned that its a breeze and just a quick call to the Consumer Council to get anything resolved"

which translates to my second statement in that same paragraph"the time frames and hairloss can be an obstacle for most people to pursue their issue"

If you misinterpret it as easy then... so be it

Secondly ..With regard to your CPA comment... are you refering to the addendums or the original act that still is in operation?

There are numerous editions on the web ranging from 15 to 120 pages.

also a lot of clauses have to be read in conjunction with corresponding clauses in the Industry Code of Conduct and corresponding clauses in The Standards Act.

I am not replying here on a forum,in a legal capacity,so I'm not gonna waste my time quoting exact clauses from the relevant gazzettes.

Most.. if not all brands with international affiliation or otherwise ...use the standard basic minimum of 12 months warranty,which automatically overides a simple sub clause of a certain clause in the CPA act,but does not mean the rest of the act is automatically null and void,far from it...

It would be ludicrous for suppliers to amend their conditions to suit RSA's current climate if they are exporting products worldwide,thats why the international minimum requirements are offered to South African consumers as part and parcel of the item purchased.

The mere fact that they all offer 12,24,36,48mths etc etc instead of the min 6 mths,is irrelevant when you look at the whole picture,

Its absurd to even consider a retailer here,representing the suppliers,quote the gazzetted 6mths on behalf of the brands name to minimize his obligations and costs when an issue of warranty arises.

Which brings me back to common courtesy and regardless how anyone translates the CPA act with or without addendums and refernces to other acts bla bla bla...

If retailers stick to basic trusted principals,go over and beyond them, like the majors are doing with their "no question asked" and "change of mind is ok" principles,

we all wouldnt feel shafted every time we have an unfortunate mishap with one of our simple purchases,

which in turn would lessen the burden on the CC,shorten the timelengths on genuine applications

and we wouldnt need to read and reply to re-occuring topics in forums like these(although its fun to do so)

So, to me,there seems to be a problem with the whole system,which involves retailers and consumers and it appears to be a bigger problem here than in other countries that i've lived in,which are by no means immune to it.

Edited by exsanguinator