Sani pass

rudi-h

We're a few mates that will be riding Sani Pass the coming weekend. Starting just outside Himeville up to the top of Black Mountain and back.

Anybody who did this recently that has any info on the ride?

PS, we'll be riding up, but the girls might want to ride up with a car. Can one get up there with a 2X4 bakkie (with diff lock) or is it 4X4 only?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey hey im off to sani pass this weekend.... I believe there was some snow yesterday, staying at the bottom and doing the pass on Saturday :)

You can get up the pass with a 4x2 bakkie. I didn't even need the diff lock. I went up the end of September and there was still snow lying around a few k's past Sani Top. Ice Corner was frozen (not sure whether it is always like that) .

Cool thanks, I'll pack an extra jacket then... Richard, are you driving or cycling up on Saturday?

It all depends on the weather and the current condition of the road. Done it in 4x2 and 4x4 but much more comfy in a 4x4. 4X2 struggle a bit on Black Mountain due to slippery conditions. Even better, all of you should do it on your bikes before it is tarred

Cool thanks, I'll pack an extra jacket then... Richard, are you driving or cycling up on Saturday?

im going up in the landy, I wish I had a day to cycle up the pass but due to work it will just be a drive up the pass to the pub :)

In summer you can go up the pass in a standard sedan no problem (but need decent ground clearance or risk rocks against the undercarriage).

But this time of year is a different story.

Today there was a bit of snow in the Malutis. Afriski got a light dusting of snow today (pic below).

The forecast has another frontal system arriving around Friday. There is some snow expected then too. Expect ice on the hairpin section as well. Experienced 4x4 drivers only.

You can park down at the border and then hike from there if you're fit and have a full day to do it. If you're mountain biking, be very very careful on the way back down the hairpins.

post-22004-0-39621600-1407766439_thumb.jpg

In summer you can go up the pass in a standard sedan no problem (but need decent ground clearance or risk rocks against the undercarriage).

But this time of year is a different story.

Today there was a bit of snow in the Malutis. Afriski got a light dusting of snow today (pic below).

The forecast has another frontal system arriving around Friday. There is some snow expected then too. Expect ice on the hairpin section as well. Experienced 4x4 drivers only.

You can park down at the border and then hike from there if you're fit and have a full day to do it. If you're mountain biking, be very very careful on the way back down the hairpins.

this makes me excited....... :clap:

Does any one have the route Profile of this? I would love to doit but would like to know what i am getting myself into...

Its raining and flippen freezing here now, so no doubt it will be snowing in Lesotho. Wouldn't recommend going up without 4x4 now, very slippery and gravel loose.

Our cottage available this weekend if looking for accommodation.

Its raining and flippen freezing here now, so no doubt it will be snowing in Lesotho. Wouldn't recommend going up without 4x4 now, very slippery and gravel loose.

Our cottage available this weekend if looking for accommodation.

Do you have Baby Snakes?

Cottage is 5km along Lotheni road from Sani Pass crossroads, next farm after Joberg2c Hazeldean stop. Rates are R150 per person per night minimum R600 self catering.

Great riding available all around here! :clap:

post-15592-0-32612200-1407772188_thumb.jpg

Have towed many 2WD cars that got stuck in the hairpins near the top. Irresponsible to encourage ppl to go up there in normal 2WD cars. They spin wheels, damage the road surface and put people at risk. Use a 4x4 or a local tour company or wait for it to be tarred. Even high ground clearance 2WD cars seldom have sufficiently low 1st gear to ascend gently or take off on the steep sections after a stop. In winter the ice across the road makes it much more dangerous. It is an awesome place for wild unsupported cross country rides though. Have ridden Sani to Thaba Ntlenyana and then sheep tracks down the Sakeng valley to St James Mission a couple of times. Epic riding

Archived