Tubeless Conversion

osiris

Next time. Get yourself a strap from either Builder's Warehouse or my favourite Outdoor Warehouse.

Never thought of that. Great tip. 

I suppose rope or whatever with also work to help pop the bead out.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

Ready to do my tubeless conversion at LBS for R1,500 including tyres, and needed some advice. Thinking of running Maxxis Ardent 2.25 at the the front, and Crossmark 2.1 at the back. What do you guys think? Oh, this is on a 29

Hi guys,

Ready to do my tubeless conversion at LBS for R1,500 including tyres, and needed some advice. Thinking of running Maxxis Ardent 2.25 at the the front, and Crossmark 2.1 at the back. What do you guys think? Oh, this is on a 29

That is exactly what I run.

Thanks! Seems a lot of people are running a similar setup. Did a google search and surprised how popular that setup is. 

Why a thicker one in front?

I was gonna run a thicker one at the back as well, but not much space at the back, and don't wanna run into trouble when riding muddy terrain.

Dropped my bike at Ridgeway Cycles this afternoon for a major service. Took the plunge and decided to do the conversion same time.

29er, UST tyres and service : R2,100. Not cheap, but also not expensive.

Get my bike back on Wed. Can't freaking wait!

I was gonna run a thicker one at the back as well, but not much space at the back, and don't wanna run into trouble when riding muddy terrain.

A 2.1 crossmark is stupidly narrow. Rather go for the wider option. It'll shed mud better (wider spacing between lugs) and will handle far better in situations

A 2.1 crossmark is stupidly narrow. Rather go for the wider option. It'll shed mud better (wider spacing between lugs) and will handle far better in situations

Will have a look when I take the bike in for the conversion. If I have enough clearance for a wider tyre, then by all means, I will go wider. 

I'm building a set of Easton EA90s, do you know if I need to add rim tape and sealant or can I just pop in a tubeless tyre? Tx.......

• 4 months later...

Why a thicker one in front?

The bigger front tyre gives better grip pushing into corners - and when you need stability -i.e. flying down a hill, your front tyre will be more forgiving than a smaller tyre, keeping lines better, and dealing with the added weight and brake forces on the front of the bike.

it also helps in sand and mud to keep tracking straight and the front end from digging and getting stuck.

I like that my rear tyre steps out a couple of seconds before my front, cornering fast, my bike can drift slightly in the rear whilst retaining grip up front.

So you get a warning, before its too late, that your grip is running out.

1. You need tape, as already stated.

2. When inflating, remove the valve core and use a good floor pump, you might succeed. Otherwise buy an adaptor which enables you to use the compressor at the local filling station. Bombs will destroy the life of your sealant. Try seating the tyre before putting in the sealant, less of a mess while learning.

3. Check out one of the youtube clips on how best to do it.

4. If you have a swimming pool you can find out where your leak is. Do not submerge the hub!

5. Eventually you will buy tubeless rims. Mavic 819 :thumbup:

6. More info on your rims. http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/giant-p-xc-s-xc-wheelset-thread-675185.html

One thing about this is you don't actually need an adaptor. I did what they describe in this video and pumped my tyres up at the petrol station without a hitch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFMGK9kpmgU

Hi guys,

What i am running as well, awesome grip in the loose sand, decent in the wet 

Archived