Slow Poke

PrinceVlad

Thanks. TriRock is in 4 weeks time and I will be doing that. I hear that it is an easier (if there is such a thing) half iron distance Tri. They say it is a good one ro begin with.

Then I am doing 11Global at Sun City in November and the 70.3 in January. The problem with Ironman is the price. I has to buy everything from the wetsuit to the bike so R4600 is a bit too much at this stage. I am trying to get a sponsor for Ironman4theKid as I am doing the 70.3 for them as well.

Good stuff...see you at Trirock....looking forward to that. then I will do the 5150 in germiston....midlands in November .... may do the sun city one as well..time and importantly money, it is an expensive sport due to the costs and accommodation, transport etc....

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff...see you at Trirock....looking forward to that. then I will do the 5150 in germiston....midlands in November .... may do the sun city one as well..time and importantly money, it is an expensive sport due to the costs and accommodation, transport etc....

I was thinking of doing the Midlands one as well just to gain a bit more experience before January, but I see that its cut off time is an hour shorter than TriRock and 70.3 so I am afraid I wont finish.

I was thinking of doing the Midlands one as well just to gain a bit more experience before January, but I see that its cut off time is an hour shorter than TriRock and 70.3 so I am afraid I wont finish.

Midlands now has a new bike route with similar climb to 70.3 so its not an easy event as it used to be. It can also get hellish hot in the midlands but this is good training...the organisers are generally very very good about it and allow ppl to remain on the course and in the event ..the run is in the midmar sanctuary so its safe to carry on ... don't let the hour less deter you ...by end of November you should be in the ball park to finish within 7.5 hours anyway...but let trirock be your guide in this. if u complete trirock within 7 hours or so u will do midlands within 7.5 hours if you continue training ... midlands would be a great event between the trirock and 70.3 ultras... nice vibe in the midlands event too..and accommodation is failry cheap at the resort itself .

Midlands now has a new bike route with similar climb to 70.3 so its not an easy event as it used to be. It can also get hellish hot in the midlands but this is good training...the organisers are generally very very good about it and allow ppl to remain on the course and in the event ..the run is in the midmar sanctuary so its safe to carry on ... don't let the hour less deter you ...by end of November you should be in the ball park to finish within 7.5 hours anyway...but let trirock be your guide in this. if u complete trirock within 7 hours or so u will do midlands within 7.5 hours if you continue training ... midlands would be a great event between the trirock and 70.3 ultras... nice vibe in the midlands event too..and accommodation is failry cheap at the resort itself .

On another note, is it possible to do the full ironman on a little more than a years training. I actually started training in January 2014 (more running actually) and for Tri's from about April. I don't want to enter if I stand no chance!

But the fact is I have to enter for something after January 2015 because thats how I keep myself motivated. How about Two Oceans and Comrades if not the full ironman?

On another note, is it possible to do the full ironman on a little more than a years training. I actually started training in January 2014 (more running actually) and for Tri's from about April. I don't want to enter if I stand no chance!

But the fact is I have to enter for something after January 2015 because thats how I keep myself motivated. How about Two Oceans and Comrades if not the full ironman?

I reckon comrades is far more difficult than iron man.... but I have never done either so take my advice from where it comes. the cycle leg of iron man worries me especially if the wind is about which is very likely ..... I reckon if you dedicated and continue training you should be ok in iron man.... the human body is far more capable that what we think it is.... iron man (in my opinion) is about being conditioned but nutrition and hydration on the day to keep the body moving.......17 hours is moerofa long time too

I believe that Comrades is tougher than Ironman as well. The thing that bothers me about Ironman is the time that is to be invested in training. I battle to do 15 hours a week now so I don't know where I will get time for more. But I think to finish the ironman is a feeling that makes it all worth it. So my thinking was either Ironman or Two Oceans and Comrades. Another one to thing about is Challenge Durban during May if not the Ironman.

I believe that Comrades is tougher than Ironman as well. The thing that bothers me about Ironman is the time that is to be invested in training. I battle to do 15 hours a week now so I don't know where I will get time for more. But I think to finish the ironman is a feeling that makes it all worth it. So my thinking was either Ironman or Two Oceans and Comrades. Another one to thing about is Challenge Durban during May if not the Ironman.

I am not putting in 15 hours a week at the moment and only expect to get close to those numbers around dec/jan ....I currently putting in between 8-10 hours a week. If I want to finish in 12 hours I need to go 15 hours , with my current regime I reckon around 15-16 hours which is ok...I am doing it to finish it ,not for any time accolades.... Comrades is going to steal a lot of time too and then only running which increases the risk of injuries etc..... I reiterate though , the human body is an amazing machine and if you in a good physical shape and have done training iron man should be doable , of course it depends on conditions on the day too. see how u do at Trirock and take it from there. The biggest error relative novices make at Tri is to go out to hard and come short later on... if u pace an iron man to finish in 15-16 hours I don't believe you need 15 hours a week every week. Tri rock in Durban has a relatively easy cycle course however there is stoll 500 metres of climb and depending on the wind can still be a tough event ...if you finish in around double yr 5150 time i.e. 7.5 hours then with 6 months until iron man I see no reason why u could not complete an iron man.... but lets see what the experts say.

I am not putting in 15 hours a week at the moment and only expect to get close to those numbers around dec/jan ....I currently putting in between 8-10 hours a week. If I want to finish in 12 hours I need to go 15 hours , with my current regime I reckon around 15-16 hours which is ok...I am doing it to finish it ,not for any time accolades.... Comrades is going to steal a lot of time too and then only running which increases the risk of injuries etc..... I reiterate though , the human body is an amazing machine and if you in a good physical shape and have done training iron man should be doable , of course it depends on conditions on the day too. see how u do at Trirock and take it from there. The biggest error relative novices make at Tri is to go out to hard and come short later on... if u pace an iron man to finish in 15-16 hours I don't believe you need 15 hours a week every week. Tri rock in Durban has a relatively easy cycle course however there is stoll 500 metres of climb and depending on the wind can still be a tough event ...if you finish in around double yr 5150 time i.e. 7.5 hours then with 6 months until iron man I see no reason why u could not complete an iron man.... but lets see what the experts say.

Well, if I cant decide I will just do both! LOL

Depends on the individual. I coached one Guy who had not done any training of any sort in over 10 years, had never done a triathlon of any sort and he had entered IM France. Worked with him for 14 weeks training. Did it in 11:20 as well. But in general any healthy person with well structured training could in my opinion complete an IM with 12 months training