New carbon duallie by Silverback?

2bliss

Wow what a machine. I am glad SB is coming to the party with a high specced bike. I'm on a Mercury 1 and loving it. Was looking at possible upgrade to KTM Scarpe, but if SB is going to set theirs up along the same lines I am staying with SB.

I was also looking at the KTM (strangely enough) and decided on the Sprada1. Now I want the Sesta!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go chat to the guys at CycleFactory, they always have the best prices on Silverback and sometimes have demo bikes you can testride.

Thanks for the mention. :thumbup:

We will be carrying the full range of Silverback bikes as usual. You can give us a call on (021) 552 8285 for more info or give us a follow on TWITTER or a like on FACEBOOK for regular updates, news & specials.

My LBS says top-spec XX1 model weighs 9.8kg and price is around R90 000. Pocket change!

The Sid and XT equipped model weighs 10.4-10.8kg and price will be around R45 000. Very good deal imho.

No word yet on the Reba and SLX equipped version. Shall we guess R38 000 - R40 000?

Not so sure about the weight on the Sesta Pro (10.4-10.8kg). The 2015 Strom 1 is already hitting the scale at 10.4kg. (Xt, Sid, Crest) thus the Sesta Pro (Xt, Sid, Crest) should be about 11.7kg??? For interest sake- the 2015 Scott Spark 910 is 11.4kg

Right guys, here's the dope.

The carbon duallie will be available in 4 models. The one you have seen is the most expensive and sports other niceties such as Race Face Next SL carbon cranks etc. To date it is still over R10000 less costly than its most comparable competitor who is not using either an RS1 fork nor a Lefty. Realistically then, the Silverback Concept 1.0 will be R15-18000 less costly than competitors, perhaps even more.

The 2x11 XTR model is R20000 less costly than its rival.

The full XT model (except for SLX Cassette) is R45000 retail which includes the manufacturing increase from 2014 to '15 (around 12%) as well as the very unfavourable R/$ exchange rate. This model has Stan's Crest wheelset and SID fork too.

SLX version is under R40000

Please keep in mind that all these models have FULL carbon frames, that means main triangle, linkage and rear triangle are carbon fibre.

I have ridden the prototype on Hoogekraal and stopped at the bottom of the back (the switchbacks) to text the designer and let him know that he is a sainted genius. Its the first 29'er full susser I have ridden that handles like a 26'er, but has all the perks of big wheels and I have been busy with 29'ers since 2003 and rode with the man Gary Fisher himself when he was riding a prototype 29'er in 2000.

There is an alloy SLX version which will be under R28000 retail as well.

The RS-1 fork is so good because of reduced stiction under braking owing to the radically reduced deflection under brake load, it feels like a linear airspring, hence the need to install volume adjusting spacers to increase progression. I understand that RS now have built in anti-dive for braking.

Remember the $1865 price quoted for the RS-1 fork excludes taxes. So if you do your maths, it multiply by almost 11 and add 14% for tax.

As for the Storm, there is a Storm 1 with a reworked frame that will retail for just over R35000 incl VAt and full XT, no shortcuts. Crest wheels, SID fork and 10,4kg.

The SBC version is 8,6kg and retails for R75500. While not a small amount of money, nobody can realistically compete on price for technology and spec.

Something else most people don't know is that ALL Silverback's frames are proprietary, not one is an off the shelf model, not even the 16" kids bikes.

Essentially, Silverback will be providing bikes across the board now, from entry level all the way to pro level. The only difference as always will be their attitude towards their consumers which is always to provide the best technology at a fair/reasonable price and normally take chunks off the opposition doing it.

Silverback has now achieved 2 Eurobike awards in 3 years. Not to be sneezed at I think, those are some serious awards and achieved while vying against industry giants (no pun) more than 40 years old. Silverback is not yet 10 years old.

@ Talk Wrench: thanks for the additional info and the Sesta ride impressions!

Do you perhaps know the approximate weights of the different spec level Sestas? The weight info provided by my LBS seems too good to be true?

:thumbup: Also very keen to see lower spec'd version/s

All 2015 models on the new website! Sesta Pro comes with full XT, ZTR Crest and normal Sid fork.

@ Talk Wrench: thanks for the additional info and the Sesta ride impressions!

Do you perhaps know the approximate weights of the different spec level Sestas? The weight info provided by my LBS seems too good to be true?

Hi guys,

The production weight of the Sesta frame I know is aimed to be about 1kg more than the Storm frame.

So, Sesta Pro is likely to be around 11,5kg. That being said, it is only an educated guess...

OK...so back to the most important question...How do I explain to my wife that I need the Sesta Pro, after I just bought the Sprada1?!! :whistling:

OK...so back to the most important question...How do I explain to my wife that I need the Sesta Pro, after I just bought the Sprada1?!! :whistling:

Sorry brother, I wish your wife was more supportive of the "right bike for the right task" philosophy. Bribery - house renovations, kitchen refit not an option?

Two very different bikes, but brilliant in their own right. I must say that if I was limited to only one bike, I would likely struggle to choose, but the old racing snake in me likely would have the last say. I would definitely miss those enduro races on my Sprada though...

Sorry brother, I wish your wife was more supportive of the "right bike for the right task" philosophy. Bribery - house renovations, kitchen refit not an option?

Two very different bikes, but brilliant in their own right. I must say that if I was limited to only one bike, I would likely struggle to choose, but the old racing snake in me likely would have the last say. I would definitely miss those enduro races on my Sprada though...

In an ideal world I would love to have both! :ph34r:

But...in reality I think the Sesta would be enough "bike" for my style of riding....but saying that, I do love bombing down a trail on the Sprada!

Ah well, can't afford it now in any case :blush:

Guys, I dunno if my LBS owner has been sniffing tyre sealant or something, but he says Silverback rep told him the estimated RRP on Sesta Race is R32 000!!! Can that be??? Only difference between Pro and Race is XT vs SLX, Sid instead of Reba and 3.30 hubs in place of SLX. The Race is clearly a bargain, being R13 000 cheaper!!

Guys, I dunno if my LBS owner has been sniffing tyre sealant or something, but he says Silverback rep told him the estimated RRP on Sesta Race is R32 000!!! Can that be??? Only difference between Pro and Race is XT vs SLX, Sid instead of Reba and 3.30 hubs in place of SLX. The Race is clearly a bargain, being R13 000 cheaper!!

I wonder if they will have a "frame only" option

Unfortuantely, I think your LBS owner has been sniffing tyre sealant with ammonia. Best case will be if the production Sesta Race drops the carbon rear end in favour of alloy, price might go from R39k to approx R36-37k.

R32k, no way.

Unfortuantely, I think your LBS owner has been sniffing tyre sealant with ammonia. Best case will be if the production Sesta Race drops the carbon rear end in favour of alloy, price might go from R39k to approx R36-37k.

R32k, no way.

You are right. I did ask him to confirm price with Silverback and he got back to me today. Price will be R38k. Availability: no earlier than December :/

Other models, including the Fatty Scoop, will start arriving in October.