Advice on new Trail / Enduro / AM bike

Brawler

Hi all, apologies for long post.

I am in need of advice. Some of you may know that I am looking for a new trail / AM kind of bike. It’s quite a lot of money for me so I want to seek as much advice and do as much research as possible before.

I have just sold my 26” Spez FSR Stumpjumper as it was too small so was struggling up hills. I don’t know if I am just a poor climber or it was the bike but I really struggled to keep up with my mates. I do the Argus every year with relative ease so I can’t be that unfit.. Let’s blame the bike haha. On the rough down hills it was ok but I would definitely like something a bit beefier. I mainly ride DJ so I jump pretty much everything I can relatively smoothly.

So I guess I want a bike that climbs like a mountain goat and descends like a downhiller. Is their such a thing?

Bike is for Cape Town trails, mainly Jonkers, Tokia and similar that I haven’t tried out yet.

Budget is 30 - 40k, lower the better but willing to spend it all if the bike is worth it. 650b preferred. I’m 1.87 and about 88kg.

With all that in mind, here are some of the options that I have looked at so far.

2014 Trance 2 @ +- R22k

Nice and cheap but will need a few upgrades out of the box. Fox 32 will not do. Due to crappy OD2 will need new headset and stem to accommodate new fork (Pike). Wheels, hubs, dropper and brakes also need to be upgraded asap. Problem is after upgrades I would have spent over R44k... I’ll also be sitting with a OD2 fork that no one wants.

2015 Trance 2 @ est R26k

Similar to above although it comes with better brakes, hubs and an improved Fox 32 fork (doubt it will suffice). At least with no OD2 upgrading fork will be cheaper and can sell the stock fork easily.

2015 Trance SX @ R40k+

Unsure if its coming to SA and will be pricey @ $4250. This bike seems to fit the bill nicely.

2015 Reign 2 @ est R32k

Probably won’t be a great climber. Initial reviews also suggest its a bit of a “pig”. Will be epic down hill though. Some components not ideal but at least it’s beefy where it counts. Pike, AM wheels etc.

2015 Spez Stumpjumper 650b Evo comp @ R40k ?

Maybe a little too close for comfort to what I had before. Also “only” comes with a revelation whereas others in price range have Pike. Not sure if it's strong enough.

2015 Spez Enduro 650b comp @ R40k ?

Seems like a decent bet? I have heard that it’s the exact same frame as the 29er? Not sure how that will translate into a 650b. Don’t want to spend so much on a half arsed attempt at a 650b bike.

Pyga Pascoe build. Will likely cost R45k+ to get the complete bike at a level that I’m happy with. Ouch.

Any obvious omissions? Which one would you choose and why? I suspect this thread may become useful to others as well who are in the same or similar predicament.

Thanks,

B

Edited by Brawler

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BMT Stellenbosch will sell you a brand new 2015 Enduro comp for 34k if you EFT. I was chatting to them the other day and it doesn't look like we'll be getting any stumpy evos again this year. Bleak.

Otherwise, Rocky Mountain has some decent options too. The altitude that falls within your price bracket comes with full xt/slx build and has a fox 34 fork. The ride9 will also help your climbing needs.

Maybe consider the Pyga OneTwenty as well. Pygas are such hot bikes right now. Chat to Brenton (Bibi on the hub), he knows how to pimp out those pygas.

Good luck man. Let us know what you end up going for.

BMT Stellenbosch will sell you a brand new 2015 Enduro comp for 34k if you EFT. I was chatting to them the other day and it doesn't look like we'll be getting any stumpy evos again this year. Bleak.

Otherwise, Rocky Mountain has some decent options too. The altitude that falls within your price bracket comes with full xt/slx build and has a fox 34 fork. The ride9 will also help your climbing needs.

Maybe consider the Pyga OneTwenty as well. Pygas are such hot bikes right now. Chat to Brenton (Bibi on the hub), he knows how to pimp out those pygas.

Good luck man. Let us know what you end up going for.

Thanks man. That is Enduro for 34k seems like an epic deal. I'll email them now. Is it the 650b?

I have already seen a 650b Stumpy Evo at Gspot last weekend. It was the expert model. The first one in SA.

I'll check out the Rocky as well. Can't say I have heard good things about Fox forks of late though. Its enough to put me off the bike.

Pygas are great but you need a proper budget. Isn't the new Pascoe out in 2 or 3 months?

I think the one they've got is the 29er, but apparently the 650b is on its way and should cost the same. It really is a sweet deal.

Haha that lumo green stumpy belongs to Dewald who works at BMT. According to him that bike arrived in SA by accident. I asked whether we'd be getting evos and he said no. Hopefully we get lucky though.

I obviously can't speak on behalf of shops with regards to specific build prices, but all the quotes I got for a OneForty were very reasonable. I know Brenton has an X-fusion vengeance that he could snap on a OneForty for you. You'd save quite a bit going for a Pike alternative.

I'm definitely sure there are guys on the hub way more knowledgeable than me in this regard though.

Best advice I was given though was to buy the bike YOU want to ride.

Yo Brawler. Of the options I'd go for the 2015 t2 650. Don't need to upgrade the brakes / wheels just yet, the deore brakes have the same internals ss the current slx which are really good stoppers, and the wheels are strong. Heavy ish, but strong. Just put some 203mm rotors on and you'll be fine. The fork will sell easily now that it's not an OD2

Also. The enduro 650 has the same front triangle as the 26" enduro, not the 29. Whoever told you that it's the same frame as the niner needs to check their facts before telling you anything.

Thanks guys. Went to BMT and the Enduro comp looks amazing. I think if they had the 650b in stock I would have purchased it there and then. At 36k including dropper its really hard to beat.

'15 Trance 2 will be good as well but with Pike and dropper it'll probably be 38k and I'll still feel uneasy with the wheelset, stem, bars etc.

I feel I will be happier out of the box with the Enduro. The only question is how bad will it be uphill compared to the Trance. Downhill it should annihilate the trance.

I spoke to the guys at Bester Cycles PTA and they will stock a few new Cube models next year. I'll be trying the 120 model as soon as my situation allows it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone got any advice on Spez Enduro 650b vs Giant Trance? (aluminium models)

Forget components, frame only. The obvious difference would be 160 vs 140mm but other than that??

Giant maestro is a better suspension design. But a more accurate comparison would be the stumpjumper vs the trance, or the new Reign vs the Enduro

I can vouch for the Maestro suspension design.

Coming off of a hardtail and onto a Anthem X, maybe not as much enduro but running a 120mm fork.

The climbing with the Fox CTD on trail is awesome. No pedal bob at all, so the only difference is really the extra kg over the hardtail.

Not sure you can say the FSR suspension on the Enduro isn't as good as the Giant Maestro. The Enduro always gets good reviews and little if any crit of the rear suspension. If I was in your shoes with your budget, I'd get the Enduro preferably in 650B though. My only concern with the 29er version is that unless you buy the top range one, you are probably looking at a bit more weight than on a 26 or 650 bike. Check out MBR's website for some recent revues of enduro bikes.

That said, i'd probably wait for a new Reign to get here and see how much its going to go for. The price estimates I have from my bike shop are quite a bit less than yours. I have only seen one review where its climbing ability was critted and the reviewer was a dirt roadie not a usual trail bike rider.

yeah I know the Reign vs Enduro and Trance vs Stumpjumper is the more accurate comparison.

The Stumpjumer isn't available in 650b in SA and the Reign will still be a month or more away (and possibly stock issues)

So that leaves Trance vs Enduro 650b. Both should be available within the next week or so. The Trance will be upgraded with Pike so they will actually be pretty similar.

The Enduro comes better stock and I will be happy with it stock. I will not be happy with Trance stock and will need to upgrade it which will make it the more expensive option but then it will be a very capable bike.

At this stage I am trying to forget all that and focus on the important bit (the frame).

Trance +'ves:

-relatively new frame design, designed from the ground up to be 650b

-proven

-Better up hill

Trance -'ves:

-I must say when I compare perceived quality of the two bikes the Trance seems like a class below the Spesh.

-Less rear travel

Enduro +'ves:

-I've sat on the 29er version and it felt like a quality product. Nearly bought it but then I remembered it was a 29er..

-More rear travel means can bomb it harder on the way down.

Enduro -'ves:

-Frame adopted for 650b... Half arsed, only doing it because they have to attempt?

-I have heard the Spesh rear suspension not as efficient as Maestro

I've just been through the same exercise... Exact same length and weight and I also want a strong machine that is capable over most terrain types.

From a logical point of view the Giant Trance seems to be the best value for money, but the standard fork and wheelset don't seem to be bomb proof and somehow it doesn't really have that WOW sensation compared to the other bikes in that class... I didn't really consider the enduro, I was looking in the 140mm travel range. The enduro is a really hot looking bike though...

I ended up saving another few months for a Santacruz 5010. It did wreck my budget, but I'm getting a good wheelset and a Pike fork. will be arriving this weekend, can't wait!

Edited by rudi-h