SRAMano question

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

I have heard alot about the sramano setups but will a Shimano ZEE Rapidfire PLUS SL-M640 right 10-speed work with a SRAM Xp type 2 rear derailleur.

Used in a 1x10 setup.

I have heard alot about the sramano setups but will a Shimano ZEE Rapidfire PLUS SL-M640 right 10-speed work with a SRAM Xp type 2 rear derailleur.

Used in a 1x10 setup.

No, the 9 speed SRAM shifter will work with the ZEE RD (with a small mod) as the ratios are close.

I have an x9 shifter mated to a Zee clutch derailleur on my downhill bike, works a treat!

9 or 10 speed shifter?

Guest Omega Man

Mmmm not sure, probably 9 speed

It will be 9 speed. The setup is as follows.

9 Speed SRAM shifter. X9, XO, X7 all work

9 Speed Cassette.

10 Speed Zee derailleur. I think SLX and Saint works too.

You're supposed to fit a little 6mm spacer on the derailleur but I've not bothered and it works fine for me. No ghost shifting but maybe I'm lucky. The idea behind the whole thing is so you can have a clutch setup without the cost of upgrading your entire drivetrain.

I'm running an X9 shifter, Zee derailleur and a SRAM 11-26 cassette on my big bike and I've not had any issues at all.

Edited by Omega Man

Sorry guys, complete setup at the moment is:

X5 shifter, 10 speed

X9 derailleur, type 2, long cage but will be a medium cage soon

Cassette is a 11-36 but running a 40T Wolf tooth ring too.

Just a question but why do this? Is it because of how cheap the Zee RD's are? Or am I way off .....

It is a cheap way of adding a clutch derailleur to a 9 speed drivetrain, i.e not having to having to upgrade fully to 10 speed (derailleur, shifters & cassette)

You can actually do it with ANY Shimano 10 speed MTB derailleur, but no real point unless you're adding a clutch or you just happen to have the stuff lying around

Just a question but why do this? Is it because of how cheap the Zee RD's are? Or am I way off .....

The original purpose for the SRAMano setup is so that guys running 9sp SRAM could enjoy the benefits of a clutch RD (Shimano) without having to buy a new shifter, chain, cassette, over and above the clutch RD purchase

Used in a 1x10 setup.

Sorry guys, complete setup at the moment is:

X5 shifter, 10 speed

X9 derailleur, type 2, long cage but will be a medium cage soon

Cassette is a 11-36 but running a 40T Wolf tooth ring too.

Seeng as how you're already running a 10sp setup, I don't see a reason to go the SRAMano route. It sounds like the only thing you wish to replace is the shifter.

What brakes are you running? Because if they're not Shimano, then chances are you can matchmaker them with an X7, X9, or X0 shifter. (just a little added benefit).

So yeah, I personally wouldn't bother with the Zee shifter. Rather just wait and do it as the manufacturers intended.

Seeng as how you're already running a 10sp setup, I don't see a reason to go the SRAMano route. It sounds like the only thing you wish to replace is the shifter.

What brakes are you running? Because if they're not Shimano, then chances are you can matchmaker them with an X7, X9, or X0 shifter. (just a little added benefit).

So yeah, I personally wouldn't bother with the Zee shifter. Rather just wait and do it as the manufacturers intended.

It is for the Zee shifter which is sold seperately whereas up to now I have only been able to find the SRAM shifters in a set. Just looking to upgrage my current right hand side SRAM X5 shifter.

It is for the Zee shifter which is sold seperately whereas up to now I have only been able to find the SRAM shifters in a set. Just looking to upgrage my current right hand side SRAM X5 shifter.

Most places are out of stock, but SRAM shifters are available individually. Even locally

http://www.buycycle.co.za/en/components/mtb-en/shifters-en/sram-mtb-shifters/sram-x.9-trigger-10-speed-rear-grey-sram.html