sport massage can it do harm

when i got to UCT on the argus, I got this searing painnot cramp in my right quad and ITB which lmited my climbing for the rest of the time.

could this be from the vigorous sport massage i had last thursday? do you need more than the three days to recover?

sport massage is a recovery modality? Don't know if you should need recovery time from it?

But even if the massage was extraordinarily vigorous, the type of focussed pain you describe, sounds as if it is coming from a specific origin for a specific reason.

One of the effects of a sports massage (especially if it is very vigorous) is to cause microscopic muscle damage that promotes healing by encouraging your body to send more blood to the area.  So yes, you do need time to recover.  However, if you have regular massages, then your body learns to handle a massage well and recover quickly (within a day or so). 

Do you have regular massages?  If not, the massage could have stressed your muscles enough to cause the problem you describe.

I doubt the massage would have caused such a pain.

Have you had a sports massage before?

Such a pain would suggest there is something else wrong to me. Agree Ronelle?

Oh, right, cause GO is trained in these things... There I was thinking "... but GO has experience in a different kind of massage, nudge, nudge, wink, wink..."

I doubt the massage would have caused such a pain.
Have you had a sports massage before?

Such a pain would suggest there is something else wrong to me. Agree Ronelle?

Yip, completely. Even IF he had discomfort that carried over from Thursday to Sunday {from a sports massage} (!) it is very very unlikely that it would cause pain, as debilitating, as he describes it.

Bud, your best bet is to go to someone like Ronelle (I see your both from the Cape?)

Let her assess it and treat accordingly. Your gonna get all the wrong info on a forum. Go see Ronelle, she's also a physio, and a fellow Hubber!!

I tend to feel a little weak the day after a hectic massage, but later in the ride i feel super. Think 3 days will be more than enough time.

Maybe give us more info - what else did you change - setup wise - prior to your race on Sunday? New shoes, cleats maybe? Sometimes a subtle change in setup will make a marked difference, especially early in the race and at  intensity

thanks for all responses.I posed the question because my friend who also had a massage on the same day started having a pain in both his hamstrings on the blue route. I advised him to go.

I think more and more it was not the massage as I went for a ride on saturday and did not feel a twinge at all.

i have been mindful of changing my shoes/cleats.When i did it before it took me a while to get it right. so i have been riding unchanged since the DC and painfree.

the answer may be in what ronelle says. I changed the black plastic wear plates on dura ace pedals on saturday night because the other was worn down. I asssume then my cleats would have been held tighter and able to move less freely.

Looking at my cleats. my right cleat is on skew. It points my big toe towards the crank and by heel away. because there was such a lot of play on my pedal previously it did not bother me.

You shouldnt have a hard massage for about a week before a big ride, a gentle massage to increase circulation would help a few days before.

Your ITB problem would not be caused by massage, that probably needs to be "muscle-stripped", a fun and not entirely painfree process.