Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

Have you considered a route that takes us out on the N1, past Milnerton on to the R27 and then back to Cape Town and over Kloof Nek into Camps Bay and to the finish

West Coast Express route, flat, fast (and will give me a shot at a sub 3 hr). :D  

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the logistics for short notice road closures on roads other than those traditionally identified for Argus.?

To what extent can the route be detoured.?

We might have to accept a shortened cycle tour.  I just don't see how we will go through Noordhoek or Clovelly.  The vehicles doing mop-up operations will need the roads to be open and we must take people that have lost their homes in consideration as they try to organise their lives.

This from news 24. If they are asking for people to stay off the roads, and the tour has to decide today any route changes, well, it is totally clear that the route will change. ANd if the fire persists, which it looks like doing till at least Friday. Well then I think the tour has some tough choices, but we will know soon enough.

"

A source close to the Disaster Management Team battling the Cape fires has called for citizens to please stay off the roads in the south peninsula area.

Traffic is hampering firefighting efforts, with the blaze still burning in the Tokai and Fish Hoek areas.

The fire which razed at least seven homes in the Noordhoek area, as well as parts of Monkey Valley Resort, have since been contained, with evacuated residents returning to their homes, the Noordhoek Fire Department said.

(from news 24)"

Worst case - it will be cancelled. Other international events and marathons have due to disaster and such.

I say just Cancel the Tour, too much has been lost and out of respect for those trying to re-organise their lives I think it is only respectful to do so.

The whole vibe has been lost!

I personally don't even feel like doing it anymore with all this happening around us.

Truth is, there is more important things on the agenda. I'm sad - I've trained hard and really wanted to do well but people's lives have been adversely affected.

I was really looking forward to it, but with what has happened and out of respect, I would say cancel it and wait for next year. That we can all do coffee rides on sunday!

Totally agree, I feel the aftermath of this tragic time is going to take a long time to get sorted out.

I hear Contantia is now being evacuated!

Jip cancel it....our entrance fees can go towards the those who lost homes...the fire department ..besides the other charities..etc.Just sad to see all this devastation. .????

shoooeeee wee, but I tend to agree with you guys. Just cannot stomach riding with all the carnage.

Maybe someone can tweet Mr David Bellairs ?

@Rockspider99, only parts of Constantia are being evacuated. That area is at high risk though at the moment.

:cursing:

Jetline have just stuffed up big time...

Got there mail and it goes like this ...

"You are about to experience the most beautiful bicycle race in the world

Was there this morning and the fire has ravaged Tokai forest and is moving across to Constantia - emergency services have blocked off many roads. Fire has reached houses by Price Drive. Hope it doesn't spread over the neck and onto Table Mountain.

Yip, I agree as well. I stay in Constantia and was evacuating friends and family all night.

There is no way that the route will be safe by Sunday in any case. The air will also be so full of smoke and ash. - Will end up doing damage to riders health.

Yip, I agree as well. I stay in Constantia and was evacuating friends and family all night.

There is no way that the route will be safe by Sunday in any case. The air will also be so full of smoke and ash. - Will end up doing damage to riders health.

Good luck Nik-Nak.

Archived