Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

Not Doing it because

1) I dont see myself rushing from the finish to the start

2) Even though the plan was to take it easy, the idea of traffic up all the climbs has put me off

tbh I didn't had problems on the climbs last year on the second lap, if you are not in a rush there are always gaps opening up to pass. In fact only had one incident where a fellow second lapper bumped me off the road at Chappies in his heroic quest for his second lap sub-whatever.

I enjoyed the second lap, first part was a bit harder than I anticipated because you don't exactly pace yourself the first time round but once I took a rest & lunch at Simonstown it was easy going (lesson learned - don't bargain on the watering tables for food for the second lap, there aint any, at least not in the first half of the race - bring your own food along)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have decided not to do a 2nd lap. I am very honored to have qualified but at R400 extra its not really worth it for me.

I will rather race hard 1st lap around and not have to worry about saving my legs for another lap.

Also I could have quite a few beers instead of doing another lap :w00t:

Anyone else doing or not doing 2nd lap after receiving the email?

Didn't even dream of receiving that email, so I resisted impulse when I received it and decided to not do it. Maybe next time...

if we do go through chappies it'll be like mont ventoux, barren lunar landscape :)

Chappies, Boyes Drive, Ou Kaapse Weg, all lunar!

if we do go through chappies it'll be like mont ventoux, barren lunar landscape :)

You could be shot for mentioning Chappies and Mont Ventoux in the same sentence  :whistling:  :whistling:  :ph34r:

You could be shot for mentioning Chappies and Mont Ventoux in the same sentence  :whistling:  :whistling:  :ph34r:

yes the purists would prob hang me for that statement 

:D  :D

This is normally the end of the road for road racing each year. I don't think I will do Panorama this year. Sooo to fill the big post August void - I have just entered Gravel and Grape.

What is next for you? 

This is normally the end of the road for road racing each year. I don't think I will do Panorama this year. Sooo to fill the big post August void - I have just entered Gravel and Grape.

What is next for you? 

nothing definite until I can get my MTB build done. Otherwise no road races.

One of the guys here at my work told me that the road on Chappies has been quite badly damaged near the Toll Gates. Chances are looking less and less likely of us going that route.

Wow,it'it's been busy here! I made it safe to Cape Town but It's sad news about the fires! Not just for the tour, we are probably missing it as a scenic drive too

How does Ou Kaapse weg compare to chappies in terms of difficulty?

Wow,it'it's been busy here! I made it safe to Cape Town but It's sad news about the fires! Not just for the tour, we are probably missing it as a scenic drive too

Noordhoek side of Ou Kaapse Weg is +- 6km climb, so its certainly longer than Chappies.

Welcome in Town. Sorry it is so HOT. Don't worry about the drive, there are other great drives to do. Don't worry about the ride, it will go on and I think the support will be even greater than before. Don't worry about the difficulty. You can make it. :)

If goig from the front, it's a beeyatch of a climb. Short and sharp. If coming from the back (which is the course you'd be taking) it's a slog-fest. 

One of the guys here at my work told me that the road on Chappies has been quite badly damaged near the Toll Gates. Chances are looking less and less likely of us going that route.

just a qu, IF, and repeat, IF its not a major part of chappies tarmac that has been damaged, because its not on the steepest descent, Could they not perhaps put mats across the damaged part of the road... Just a qu??

Archived