Single speed advice ( mtb )

No gears required

My current sprocket choice does not allow me to get proper chain tension and have the rear brake fit perfectly on my inbred .If a take a chain like out is to tight and if i leave like it in the brake disc is slightly out of its groove .With 38 x 18 it was perfect .Running 36x 19 now

I think I was just lucky with the sprocket selection.

How much free play should the chain have , mine seems to have stretched a bit after only 90km this weekend.

My current sprocket choice does not allow me to get proper chain tension and have the rear brake fit perfectly on my inbred .If a take a chain like out is to tight and if i leave like it in the brake disc is slightly out of its groove .With 38 x 18 it was perfect .Running 36x 19 now

How much free play should the chain have , mine seems to have stretched a bit after only 90km this weekend.

Great thanks !

I will give the dh style roller a chance first.

I have a rear dmr tensioner that's in a box , I'd prefer it to stay there , lol .

Thanks again for the help.

Where can I get a dh chain guide like that ? And do they fit square taper cranks ?

Possibly asking a lot of rookie questions.

That DMR tensioner is actually pretty good. Perhaps you should try it 1st.

That happens .I use a bmx chain .No slapping about but should have about half an inch of play by hand

Great...bmx chain and front dh tensioner on the way from Diald bikes. What a bunch of champs..very helpful and efficient !

I plan on changing rear sprockets for Sabie experience in December. Anybody else riding ss category there ?

Great...bmx chain and front dh tensioner on the way from Diald bikes. What a bunch of champs..very helpful and efficient !

I plan on changing rear sprockets for Sabie experience in December. Anybody else riding ss category there ?

I did it two years ago on my 29er Gt peace and gearing was 32:18 only really struggled on the second day in that there was a wet section that was too steep to sit and climb but once I stood up I had no traction. So walked through that and was fine afterwards. SabieX is very do-able on the SS.

I did it two years ago on my 29er Gt peace and gearing was 32:18 only really struggled on the second day in that there was a wet section that was too steep to sit and climb but once I stood up I had no traction. So walked through that and was fine afterwards. SabieX is very do-able on the SS.

Really looking forward to doing it ss..do you know what the equivalent rear sprocket would be on a 650b..can't seem to find a calculator for the 650b yet ? I'm also running a 32 upfront.

probably about the same 18 or 17, which ever you have or can get. Don't think the difference would be worth the hassle of looking for and paying for one or the other,

The other option is the white brothers eccentric hub I have one lying around at the moment

I need to ask ... could you please PM me your idea of price if you are keen on selling .... I might need one of these if I can't come right with my current wheelset on another bike ... long story.

I need to ask ... could you please PM me your idea of price if you are keen on selling .... I might need one of these if I can't come right with my current wheelset on another bike ... long story.

It's called the back of the queue :ph34r:

It's called the back of the queue :ph34r:

Unlike button .... where the hell is the unlike button :whistling:

edit: spelling

Edited by Hairy