Q-Rings & Wheels

Richard F

Hi, I need some advice. Has anyone got any experience with Q-Rings, be it good or bad. They seem to promise a lot but are they worth it. Also, I have a pair of Mavic CXP33 road bike wheels that won`t last that much longer so I am looking for advice on what to go for. I don`t mind spending 6K or so on the wheels. Maybe there is a Cape Town bike shop who could do a deal on both the rings and the wheels? My usual ride is about 80ks including Chappies both ways and Suikerbosse so a fair amount of climbing hence, hopefully, help from the rings and some lighter wheels.

Have Q-Rings - didn't notice any real difference in performance over normal rings to be honest. I did find after using the QRings for a while that my pedal stroke *felt* smoother when I was on an indoor trainer or riding with normal chainrings .

Front shifting is OK but not great - setting up the FD can be tricky and I would drop a chain shifting every now and then...

I recently changed back to normal rings (Sram Red) on my "race bike" due to the better shifting, but intend to keep the Q Rings and put them on my "trainer" bike for training purposes.

I don't regret buying them, but if I were in your position I would rather put the extra money into the wheelset...

I think there is an energy cost with Q-rings which can be calculated. The top of Chain near the ring is lifted say 20mm with every half pedal turn, and dropped at the bottom. Lifting a 100mm or so of chain vertically 20mm 200 times a minute must consume a fair amount of watts. The energy of the dropping chain is probably absorbed by the jockey springs and results a similar lifting action.

• 6 months later...

anyone using q-rings due to knee issues ? do they help relieve knee pain. It's not a bike set-up issue, knees are just F@#@$

I've been running compact 50/36 Q-ring setup for a year. Bought them from evobikes. There is not much of a performance difference but I do feel less fatigued on and off the bike since I got them.  No leg cramps or stiffness. Dont think I'll go back to round rings.

Dont have any issues with FD, just make sure your bike mechanic sets it up correctly.

I ride a Q ring on my Mtb. XX1 so obviously no shifting issues. I love mine. I don't think you always feel the difference on the bike,except climbing very steep where they definitely help, but you do feel less fatigued afterward.

It might be setup but I have not had any knee issues since using them.

The theory does make sense so I will stick with mine.

I run Osymetric and q-rings on several of my bikes, plus round on all my 'classic' bikes and mtb (for now, about to change).
I chose to go this route for the relief they give my knees and not for performance. They have definitely helped my knees a lot, which do still 'niggle' during and after rides with my round rings. While I don't necessarily think they've given me a performance increase, they most definitely have improved my pedal stroke. I ride different bikes all the time, and swapping between the different rings hasn't been an issue at all, they all feel 'natural' within a minute of pedalling.

I'm really happy I decided to invest in them.